tail light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tail light

I looked at My fuse box bad and nun of them are bad so its a wire thats bad and I dont want to go threw the mess of wires so im trying to hard wire it to the battery but I got two problems
    One it wont shut off unless I hit the brake so its bavk wards
    Two when you do have it shut off it Burman the wires up

Im useing 20 gauge wire cus thats what thr people at orileys sudgested

Here is what my wireing lookes like

The wiring may not be bad. It could be that the brake light switch in your left hand control unit is in the wrong position. That is adjustable.

Be careful, as there is a spring in there that can take the opportunity to become free range. Disassembly in a clear plastic bag is advised.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I cannot make any sense of this, even after translating the "meth-speak" and spelling errors.

What are you hardwiring to the battery? Your tail-light?

That's retarded. You will just drain the battery.

Are those speaker wires??? No real insulation?

There aren't that many wires for the tail-light, and they are not hard to access. Without going through the harness, how are you going to stop the wires from burning (Burman) up?

If your tail-light wiring is bavk wards, just find the swap and reverse it. There are only 3 wires (brake, tail, ground). The ground is black/white, so you can figure out the swap from the other two.

Comment

Help US to help YOU:

Get rid of the text-speak. Use real words. Check your spelling

Tell us what bike you have - year and model. Wiring diagrams are probably available here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

If wiring is burning up under ANY circumstances, there's a wiring error someplace. What wires are burning up? Is the picture of the brake light switch for the brake pedal? In that case, I don't think it should have 4 wires connected to it. Most bikes I've seen and worked on have only two.

Edit: MisterCinders beat me to the punch. What he said holds true too.

Comment

How will it drain the battery my headlight is wired straight to the battery and it dusnt drain the battery

Comment

If your headlight is wired straight to the battery, it will be ON all the time, at least until the batter is drained.

If it is NOT on all the time, it is not "direct to the battery", there must be a switch in-line somewhere. That switch is usually the ignition switch, which provides power to the rest of the fuses in the fuse box.

The tail light (not the brake light) is not even connected directly to the headlight. There is a second circuit in the ignition switch that allows just the tail light to be lit if you turn the key to the PARK position.

By the way, you can't just "look" at a fuse to tell whether it's good or not. You have to actually test it with a meter or a test light. Fuses have been known to 'blow' under metal cap, where you can't see it.

As mentioned, there are three wires connected to the tail light. The black with white stripe is the ground. The brown is the tail light. The white is the brake light. It appears that you are playing with the rear brake switch and are having problems with it. Step back, don't listen to the clowns at O'Reillys. Get some real wire. What was wrong with the original wire?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              The wiring may not be bad. It could be that the brake light switch in your left hand control unit is in the wrong position. That is adjustable.

Be careful, as there is a spring in there that can take the opportunity to become free range. Disassembly in a clear plastic bag is advised.

Even in Canada the brake is the RIGHT hand side.

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
                But Moon's bike is bavk wards! His could be on the left side, to take advantage of that headlight circuit that is hardwired to the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
                  oops, nice catch! Jeez. I wouldn't want to confuse the situation any more than it already is
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Ok cool you want to be a prick don't post on my thread if you want to be helpful then help

Comment

Originally posted by moon View Post
                      Ok cool you want to be a prick don't post on my thread if you want to be helpful then help
                      Um...who was that comment directed toward?

People are trying to help you out, but your post IS confusing.
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                      X