X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light ISSUE!

I bought an aftermarket rear brake light for my 82 GS650:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/220990288228...228%26_rdc%3D1
    It looks great but when I turn the bike on, the passive filament is super bright. When I press the brake light, the light BARELY gets any brighter. I do not feel safe riding like this.

I bought some 10amp resistors for my LED turnsignal conversion. I attempted hooking a resistor up to the passive line and it FIXED it. EXCEPT that the resistor started smoking and nearly melted. I also tried a new bulb, (no difference)

The light is self grounded. Does anybody know how to fix the problem?????

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot info

This could be another case of the front RIGHT HAND control switch being out of place, and your brake light being on all the time. It can be realigned by loosening up the switch's connecting screws and sliding the contact around. IF you take it fully apart, do it in a clear plastic bag, or you could be looking for the spring that is inside, this time next year.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I have never heard of a "passive" filament, I presume you are using that to describe the "tail" light.

Is this an incandescent bulb or an LED?

Regardless, if it is "self-grounded", as you describe, there should be two wires coming out of it. One will be your tail light, the other will be your brake. If your "tail" (passive) filament seems to be too bright, try connecting to the other wire.

Depending on the light bulb that is inside, you might not have a proper difference in intensity between the tail and brake circuits. If that's the case, all I can do is say "welcome to the world of eBay junk".

By the way, adding resistors to a light is not going to fix anything.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well I neglected to mention that I'm using the foot brake because the front sensor has never worked in the slightest. When I had the OEM light hooked up, the rear brake sensor and light worked perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by dj3671 View Post
          Well I neglected to mention that I'm using the foot brake because the front sensor has never worked in the slightest. When I had the OEM light hooked up, the rear brake sensor and light worked perfectly.
          Then it might not be it, but it's worth the five minutes it'll take to have a look and see if something has shifted in the control switch
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Since the front and rear switches are parallel in the circuit, disconnect the front one. That should tell you right away if the front switch itself is an issue.

Comment

Working...
            X