Questions about Dyna stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Dyna stuff

Ok, I did a quick search and I didn't see an answer, but maybe I didn't dig far enough. I have an 82 GS1100E, with all stock ignition components. Would there be any gain from getting a Dyna S? Or is that just an electronic ignition conversion for older bikes? Also the Dyna coils, is there any benefit to that without having a crazy juiced up motor? Thanks for any answers!

[QUOTE=MunkyMastr;1691867]Would there be any gain from getting a Dyna S?QUOTE]
    There is no benefit to the Dyna-S compared to your fully functioning ignition system that I know of. They both trigger the coil equally well.

[QUOTE=MunkyMastr;1691867]Or is that just an electronic ignition conversion for older bikes?QUOTE]
    The Dyna-S replaces older points type ignition along with electronic ignition. It takes the place of your signal generator and ignitor. It requires a manual advancer.

[QUOTE=MunkyMastr;1691867]Also the Dyna coils, is there any benefit to that without having a crazy juiced up motor?QUOTE]
    For me it was having a better spark. The stock stuff worked okay but the spark was thin and a weak orange/blue. I didn't trust how long they would last. It was a 50/50 on replacing wires as well without breaking the coils. Now with the Dyna greens and new wires I have a fat white/blue spark and peace of mind.
    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

As mentioned, the Dyna S will replace both your signal generator on the end of the crankshaft and the igniter on the side of your battery box. The main benefit I saw was the adjustability of timing. This allowed me to switch from premium to regular fuel. Before, I would get pre-ignition (knock) on any fuel less than 92. You could also use the adjustability to maximize timing for the fuel you choose to run in your bike. Your engine already has a manual advance so it would be a straight swap.
      The green coils produce a hotter spark by around 8-10k volts (an estimate, since Suzuki fails to publish their specs). If you set the two coils side by side, Suzuki vs. Dyna, the Dyna is significantly larger in diameter due to more windings. More windings, more voltage. They are a tight fit, however, in the stock location, and care must be taken so spark does not jump to your tank or frame. I ended up using liquid rubber to cover and protect the outer post. You will also want to do a relay to the coils to insure good input voltage.
      I found it a worthwhile conversion for my bike, just MHO.

Comment

There is a big advantage to putting the Dyna S kit in IMO.

If the dodgy stock charging system fries what ever ignition system is in there it may be difficult if not impossible to find a replacement. And if you can find one, it's going to be pricey. If it is a used one, more than likely it will be weak and end up failing eventually anyways and you're back to square one.

I put the DSC-3C kit in my little 300 and it works like a charm. Setting the timing is a little confusing at first, but like others said it is adjustable which is a big advantage over what I had before.

Another advantage of Dynatek stuff is that their customer service has been great. A lot better than any Suzuki dealer I've come across.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          They are a tight fit, however, in the stock location, and care must be taken so spark does not jump to your tank or frame. I ended up using liquid rubber to cover and protect the outer post.
          Is there any way you could expand or show some pictures of this? Or if you have them somewhere else.

I figured I needed to do that but I didn't know how.

Comment

Dyna S is cool and all for replacing a points system, or if your ignitor burned out and you can't find another for a reasonable price. For a bike with a functioning electronic ignition system though, I wouldn't bother.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I love points setup, extremely reliable.

Comment

Working...
              X