sooty buildup on #1 plug switches to #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sooty buildup on #1 plug switches to #4

I have a 1982 GS850G I put new coils and wires on it ,the compression is 140 135 140 130 ,it idles on 3 cylinders ,first #1 was dead and now it has switched to # 4 I tried switching # 1 coil wire with #4 same thing,I switched the plugs same thing ,#4 plug gets covered with powdery soot after a few klomtrs of driving, could this be caused by a bad stator its almost like the coil is only firing every second time when #1 is on its compression stroke but not when # 4 is on its compression stroke, maybe bad pickups??? The carbs were cleaned but I havnt cheked them latley could this be a carb issue ,the only time the bike seems to run smooth is when you are excelerating but only after about 3000 rpm,number 2 and 3 run fine just a little hot. Just to clarify by coil wire I meant plug wire.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM.

1 and 4 fire together- check by pulling plug wires, stick some plugs on them and hold against engine while you crank it (step 1 in attached link). Are these replacement ignition coils/wires stock? measure them as in step 10

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X