My gs850L won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My gs850L won't Start

I was riding home from work a couple days ago and when I got to a stop light my bike just died on me. I tryed to started it back up and it would fire. After Checking gas ( I had enough gas) I noticed that it looked like there was a hole in the vacumm line from the gas tank, I fixed that but then when I hit the button to start the bike it wouldn't even try to crank. I check the battery and It is ok. Any idea's, Also when I was looking at it the lights are not working as well.
    Any advice would be appricated.
    Thanks

After you repaired your vacuum line did you turn the valve to prime for a while before trying to start the bike?

Now that there is a starter issue you need to isolate the issue. When you hit the start button do you hear a click? If not try flicking the kill switch off and on a few times and try again. Still no click, you need to take the cover off and tap the solenoid with the handle of a screwdriver. Still no click, it will be time to get the multimeter out and start tracking the wires to find a break.

If you do hear a click try jumping the solenoid using a jumper or screwdriver. If the starter does not engage you need to check the connection to the starter. Pop the cover off the starter and make sure the wire is securely bolted to the starter terminal. Check to make sure the engine is grounded to the chassis and battery. If all seems well but the starter still doesn't work take a sniff down by the starter with the cover off. If you smell strong burning your starter has likely packed up.

Most motorcycle manuals tell you not to attempt to engage the starter longer than 5 seconds at a time and to allow the starter to cool.

Comment

Wow, thats wierd...
      Did you raise the tank to repair the vacume line?
      Or disturb something?
      Sounds very coincidental that somethings gone at the exact same time as the fuel problem...

Xxx

Comment

No lights, no power, check your fuses. Sounds to me like your main fuse is blown, or your wire connecter's come loose from the fuse block.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          No lights, no power, check your fuses. Sounds to me like your main fuse is blown, or your wire connecter's come loose from the fuse block.
          Bingo. That was my first thought as well.

Comment

Sorry I don't think I was specific enough. The lights come on on the dash for ex. The neutral light and so on. The turning signals do not work, either do the headlight or brake lights and the it dosn't go to try to start either.

"
            Now that there is a starter issue you need to isolate the issue. When you hit the start button do you hear a click? If not try flicking the kill switch off and on a few times and try again. Still no click, you need to take the cover off and tap the solenoid with the handle of a screwdriver. Still no click, it will be time to get the multimeter out and start tracking the wires to find a break.

If you do hear a click try jumping the solenoid using a jumper or screwdriver. If the starter does not engage you need to check the connection to the starter. Pop the cover off the starter and make sure the wire is securely bolted to the starter terminal. Check to make sure the engine is grounded to the chassis and battery. If all seems well but the starter still doesn't work take a sniff down by the starter with the cover off. If you smell strong burning your starter has likely packed up"

I'll give that a try today.

Comment

Working...
            X