Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery does not charge by running engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery does not charge by running engine.

Having some very strange problems with my 80 GS1100... Battery was getting bad and would no longer start the bike. Put in a brand new one and it worked perfectly. Have had no problems in the month or so since the new battery install. 300+ miles as I ride the bike about twice weekly.

Rode 50+ miles yesterday with a lot of stopping and starting. Perfect.

30 hours later I went to start it and nothing. Stone dead. push started it and rode 15 min. Battery still had zero charge.

I may have left the key on overnight but honestly can't remember. The key was in the bike and may have been in "on" position but not sure.

I would have thought the battery would charge up after a ride. I once left my lights on in my car for a week, boosted it and the battery was able to start the car after a short drive.

What makes this more strange is after a couple easy push starts it barely started a third time and I had to limp it home revving it around 2500 to prevent a stall. The battery warning on the check panel only then lit up. It was not lit the first or second time I push started the bike. After a 20 minute ride home it began to idlr nicely but the check battery light remained on and the batterr had zero juice after killing the engine. Not enuff to light up neutral indicator.

When the previous battery went the first time strting issues did not appear sudenly the starter turned over slowly but it did start. The next time the neutral and oil litrs lit up but not enuff juice to crank it.

If I indeed did leave the ignition on overnight would I have destroyed the battery or discharged it to a point where it would not accept charge?

Is there any problem that can kill a battery overnight if in fact I did not leave the ignition on?

I have it on a good quality charger now and will give it a day. The previous owner wired a quick charge connector into the battery so at least I dont have to pull the airbox (the GS1100 has the worst battery access of any bike I have ever owned.

w
    Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2012, 11:32 PM.

You need to go through the stator papers that are found on the main page of the GS Resources site (not the forum). Also, do some research on Basscliff's site and here about how to connect the stator to the R/R so it's a direct connect and not through the harness.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
    X