Inside Right Hand Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside Right Hand Switch

My bike has a dodgy electrical connection in the starting circuit. It cranks over strongly and fires right up most of the time but ocassionally it won't turn over at all, even though the lights come on strong. If I fiddle with it, it will eventually turn over and roar to life. I have cleaned the clutch-safety switch, thinking that was it, but the problem persists. I have searched for right-hand switch threads but not found anything that deals directly with the anatomy of that switch. If I take it apart, are there little parts waiting to be liberated (like in the clutch safety switch)? I think I can figure out how it works once I get in there but just wondered if there any "heads-ups" I need to be aware of.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Yes there can be but if you do it slow and easy everything should stay together. I would still probably put a plastic baggie around everything just to be safe.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks. I guess the old plastic bag trick is always worth doing, just in case.
      1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
        My bike has a dodgy electrical connection in the starting circuit. It cranks over strongly and fires right up most of the time but ocassionally it won't turn over at all, even though the lights come on strong. If I fiddle with it, it will eventually turn over and roar to life. I have cleaned the clutch-safety switch, thinking that was it, but the problem persists. I have searched for right-hand switch threads but not found anything that deals directly with the anatomy of that switch. If I take it apart, are there little parts waiting to be liberated (like in the clutch safety switch)? I think I can figure out how it works once I get in there but just wondered if there any "heads-ups" I need to be aware of.
        Maybe also turn the entire control on the bar so it is facing down when you take it in half.

Or before that try this when it does not go:
        WHen it doesnt start try wiggling the button while holding the clutch still for a while. THen try wiggling clutch lever while holding the butn still. Mayne that might help you determine where the problem is.

Oh, do you know the clutch switch can be adjusted? Loosen the little screws just a bit and slide the body toward the lever, and retighten the screws.

Did you do any troubleshooting with a multimeter? To verify that the solenoid is or is not not being powered? (maybe clutch switch and start button ar okay).

If it is being powered and still not pulling in, then need to suspect the grounding of the battery box. BUt that is a detailed discussion. SO, first, tell us more what you find.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Maybe also turn the entire control on the bar so it is facing down when you take it in half.

WHen it doesnt start try wiggling the button while holding the clutch still for a while. THen try wiggling clutch lever while holding the butn still. Mayne that might help you determine where the problem is.

Oh, do you know the clutch switch can be adjusted? Loosen the little screws just a bit and slide the body toward the lever, and retighten the screws.

Did you do any troubleshooting with a multimeter? To verify that the solenoid is or is not not being powered? (maybe clutch switch and start button ar okay).

If it is being powered and still not pulling in, then need to suspect the grounding of the battery box. BUt that is a detailed discussion. SO, first, tell us more what you find.

Thanks, I have tried the wiggling test without definitive results but will try adjusting the clutch switch which I didn't realize was possible. If that yields nothing I will try your other suggestions. I found a thread about grounding the battery box.
          1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

My bullet connector for the line from the battery to the rest of the ignition areas was loose and gave me same issue. Check the connections there as well..

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Adjustment of the clutch switch fixed it. Many Thanks, Redman.
              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
              X