Good starting point for first time starter rebuilders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good starting point for first time starter rebuilders

This doesn't tell you how to do the entire job, but it does give a decent overview. Shows the basics.

That might be a timely article, considering one of our members will be attempting a last effort to get his going when he gets his parts. Interesting that it is the same starter motor.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yep. Looks like everything I've already done although I'm still curious about how to replace those bushings you are referring to inside the case. Especially since I'm not seeing them listed in the parts fiche (bush 1 and bush 2 refer to other things in the fiche).

Hopefully they'll be in tomorrow.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I sent the plastic insulator bushings if that is what you are referring to, for the power terminal. They should be on the post from the brush retainer in assembly order. The large black plastic piece slips through the hole from the inside of the motor case (brush housing, base plate, whatever it's called), the terminal post from the brushes goes through and the other pieces go on the outside of the case over the terminal, held together with a nut. Watch it when you take it apart, there is a little O-ring in between the plastic parts that might get lost. These might be the parts you did a work around repair on. You might be right about getting it tomorrow, we are not that far apart. They are in the first picture near his right thumb. the big bushing actually goes through the back base hole shown to the left of the starter motor. He has it held in place so you can see it as if it was a cutaway.
        Last edited by OldVet66; 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yea I see that part and it will be nice to have the proper thing. I guess the metal ones inside each cap as I thought that is what people referred when they said it was binding up.

I'll swing by the PO after work tomorrow and see if they've arrived.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I doubt it was binding. If it was you would have had a bear of a time getting the end caps off in one piece. I think your commutator was just toast.

Comment

Working...
            X