Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

missing #2

hey guys
    my #2 cylinder is cold not fireing.. i know this because my header pipe for 2 is cold enough for me to touch. all ohters are blazing. i was having issues with both # 2 and 3 but i adjusted my valve clearence and now 3 is much better.. question is why is 2 still cold. im leaning towards my timing being off.. i know i have spark and its strong! i pulled off my plug cap and i got shocked mucho ahaha. i tightened up the cap on the wire and replaced. still no hot exhaust.

any ideas. i will be chekcing timing when i get a light soon.

Could be numerous things,

Primarily What bike are we talking about???

1- Have the carbs been thoroughly cleaned ? Have they been synced?
    2-Being that it is number 2 cyl is the fuel valve any good and been tested?
    3 Have you looked and read the most popular NEWBIE MISTAKES?
    It is probably not timing related , definitely sounds like a fuel issue to me .
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

ok. i have gone through the carbs and replaced the o rings. i have not synced them yet just adjusted them to as good as i can get at the moment. i have read the newbie mistakes and not sure if i followed them haha. but your right maybe its fuel related. i dont have a sync but im goin back to work tomorrow and gunna try and borrow one and hopefully by this weekend work with it. what is the fuel valve that your talking about?

Comment

o and its a 78 gs1000 skunk

Comment

If you still have a vacuum operated petcock, it should have a vacuum hose connected to #3 carb (#1 carb is extreme left as you sit on bike)'
          Got spark? then it's likely fuel related;run it a bit, then pull plug- is it wet or dry?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by CocoTiTs View Post
            hey guys
            my #2 cylinder is cold not fireing. ...
            First of all, let's make sure you are numbering correctly. #1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand.

... question is why is 2 still cold. im leaning towards my timing being off. ...
            If the timing was off on #2, it would be off on #3, as well. They are tied together and use the same coil.

... i know i have spark and its strong! ...
            First you say it's not firing, now you say you have spark. Which is it?

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
            Primarily What bike are we talking about???
            Yes, please put your bike in your sig. That way, you don't have to mention it every time and we don't have to ask.

1- Have the carbs been thoroughly cleaned ? Have they been synced?
            Both very good and VERY important.

2-Being that it is number 2 cyl is the fuel valve any good and been tested?
            Well, it might be #2, it might be #3, we don't know what bike we are talking about yet.

... i have not synced them yet just adjusted them to as good as i can get at the moment. ...
            Could easily be your problem. Could be as simple as "#2 is completely closed at idle", assuming that is when you are experiencing a cold pipe. If it is still cold after a ride, we have other problems.

... i have read the newbie mistakes and not sure if i followed them haha. ...
            Why does everyone think that the "Newbie mistakes" list is a joking matter?

o and its a 78 gs1000 skunk
            Thanks, now put that in a signature.

My vote is a simple carb sync.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              First of all, let's make sure you are numbering correctly. #1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand.
              Yes it's numbered correctly in my description.

If the timing was off on #2, it would be off on #3, as well. They are tied together and use the same coil.
              Just installed new wire on coils So I do realize this. And have read the timing instructions in book.

First you say it's not firing, now you say you have spark. Which is it?
              Well just because it has spark would not to me describe firing. It does have spark. A very strong spark. Firing would result in the actual mixture exploding causing heat to be displaced out exhaust. Since the #2 header is cold enough for me to grab through any combination of rpms I would say I have an issue I had questions about.

Yes, please put your bike in your sig. That way, you don't have to mention it every time and we don't have to ask.
              Will do

Both very good and VERY important.

Well, it might be #2, it might be #3, we don't know what bike we are talking about yet.
              Again will make sure to mention it. As I do have a link in my sig going to my first introduction thread all about my bike. Thought it might not be a huge issue lol.

Could easily be your problem. Could be as simple as "#2 is completely closed at idle", assuming that is when you are experiencing a cold pipe. If it is still cold after a ride, we have other problems.
              Not the problem.

Why does everyone think that the "Newbie mistakes" list is a joking matter?
              I don't take it as a joke. But as you may know. Things don't always go perfectly as planned. I followed a lot of it. But certain things I didn't. Not a big deal for someone who knows their way around a engine for the better part.

Thanks, now put that in a signature.

My vote is a simple carb sync.
              Def a good idea. Gettin my hands on one soon.

.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Well have spark. Checked last night. Ripped carbs off. Messed with them a bit. And its lookin like I have the fuel gallery not flowing through the pilot fuel holes when I spray through the right lower opening on the front throat of carb. This hooks up to the main needle gallery too. Can spray through the hole on other carbs and it will shoot a little out of pilot fuel holes. But not on #2. Only thing is I had the bowl off on #2 and not on others. Will try with bowl on later after I try and clean with berrymans and air pressure. But could've of found the problem. The plug for number two was clean. All others black. They all fire. But no black means no fuel. Also when I shut off I can see fog in all carbs throats. But number two has significantly less fog sittin inside compared to others. Must be the problem.

Comment

Weeeeellllll. I was wrong. . . . . Turns out. The gallery for the pilot fuel jet is NOT connected to the main jet gallery. And it was the reason that my spray didn't one out the pilot fuel holes because I had te bowl off. The other ones came out cuz I had the bowls on so my spray went into the bowl and out the bleeder out the pilot fuel holes ... Whatever I was hopeful cuz now I have no clue y. Carbs are completely apart now. And I get to clean them real good and move my manual choke lever to te new carbs. But anyways. I'm at a loss now so. Here we are.

Comment

Working...
                  X