Katana Electric II ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana Electric II ?

There's a relay that was positioned at front of frame just under head tube.
    Plugged into relay is Horn wiring (green) / Horn Button wiring (dark green) / Signal (flasher) box wiring (Orange w/ green stripe) / Positive from fuse box terminal.
    Could someone explain the reasoning to this electrical imbecile (that's me)

Also, this relay was getting 'bumped' by triple tree & wiring combination upon full cornering ... so I found another location where it could bolt on ... is this an inappropriate location due to proximity of motor?? Am I blowing it having the relay close to valve cover? (I have rubber washers on either side of relay's tab) Thanx

I would guess it's a horn relay. the horn button should close the normally opened relay and feed power directly from the battery through a fuse to the horn. It takes the load off of the horn button and connectors because it's just actuating an electromagnetic switch now, that is next to no load. the result is a louder horn or one that pulls more current than the button could handle. Not the best location once the tank and other trim is on, but it might be ok. You'll be the first on the block to know if it melts.
    Last edited by OldVet66; 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
      I would guess it's a horn relay. the horn button should close the normally opened relay and feed power directly from the battery through a fuse to the horn. It takes the load off of the horn button and connectors because it's just actuating an electromagnetic switch now, that is next to no load. the result is a louder horn or one that pulls more current than the button could handle. Not the best location once the tank and other trim is on, but it might be ok. You'll be the first on the block to know if it melts.
      Thanks for feedback. There's no fuse btwn fuse block and relay. Will soon be a fuse with coil relay mod (?)
      I'll keep an eye on relay & heat. I think with air flowing it might be ok, as you suggest.

Comment

Working...
      X