Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical issues

on a 1983 GS750ES

I have all the electrics back on the bike now, after going through all of them and making sure there was no fraying or cuts or that kinda thing. I have also removed the horn, signals, and tail, and headlight wires because the bike is track bound.

But now when I turn on the ignition, im finding there is no power going to any where but the coils. The main Dash no longer works, and the starter button doesnt work.

I can get the starter to turn and fire the spark plugs by basically taking a screw driver and touching both posts on the solenoid together. So I know I have spark when the ignition is on. But there is no electricity going anywhere else.

Thoughts folks?

Marshall;
    I'm sure there will be others coming along shortly with lots more (and better) suggestions, but I'm gonna give my 2 cents;

-There are lots of wires that go through the headlight basket. Something may have got disconnected when you removed it. I think maybe the starter button harness goes thru there as well.

-Some bikes are wired so the headlight has to be "On" when firing up. Did you check your wiring schematic and trace what's connected to the headlight (or anything else you removed) ?

Comment

Check your fuse box and see where you getting power in and power out, also check wiring to and from and contacts on ignition switch. terrylee

Comment

A missing ground wire near the solenoid will keep it from working. Should be a black wire with a white stripe, with a ring on the end.
        Last edited by OldVet66; 07-20-2012, 10:55 PM.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X