alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator

Bike is 83 1100ESD. Not charging consistent, have volt meter installed and new sealed battery, so decided to just get new ElectroSport (as it appears you all recommend) stator and rectifier right away. I have two questions: is the nut that holds the rotor (M35) a left hand thread? and can you (lightly) use emery paper to clean up the magnets as they really appear to need it on the edges in about 1/2 inch? If so how much can you safely sand them down before you need to replace the rotor $$$. any help on this is appreciated.

Originally posted by Oakley View Post
    Bike is 83 1100ESD. Not charging consistent, have volt meter installed and new sealed battery, so decided to just get new ElectroSport (as it appears you all recommend) stator and rectifier right away. I have two questions: is the nut that holds the rotor (M35) a left hand thread? and can you (lightly) use emery paper to clean up the magnets as they really appear to need it on the edges in about 1/2 inch? If so how much can you safely sand them down before you need to replace the rotor $$$. any help on this is appreciated.
    I would not do the following:
    • Buy an electrosport R/R (stator is OK with the right R/R)
    • Sand down the magnets on the rotor

I would:
    • use red locktite on the crackshaft taper.
    • If I was low on bucks get an Honda 6 wire equivalent
    • If I did not want any trouble Get an Compufire SERIES R/R
    Last edited by posplayr; 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakley View Post
      Oakley,

Messing with rotor magnets will not help anything.

You say not charging consistently. Makes me think the charging system is working some, and your problem could be something other than failed stator or failed R/R. You may spend a few hundered dollars to replace the stgator and the R/R and still have problems.
      Can troubleshoot to better determine where your problem is.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi,

Clean connections, especially in the charging system, are a must. Corroded connectors add resistance which cause heat which kills stators, r/r units, and batteries. Connect the ground wire from the r/r directly to the negative terminal of the battery. If there is too much voltage loss between the r/r output and the positive terminal of the battery, you can wire the output of the r/r directly to the positive terminal of the battery through an inline fuse, about 15 amps. Connect the outputs of the stator directly to the inputs of the r/r unit. See the diagram.

No need to sand the magnets on the rotor.

Read the following:

Stator Papers
        More On The Stator Papers
        GS Charging System Health+Quick Test
        Compatible Stators and R/Rs

Regulator/Rectifier Diode Test
        Cleaning Your Wiring Harness

And don't forget ... New Members, CLICK HERE!! <<<The maintenance lists are very important.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X