Groan..Its happened to me now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groan..Its happened to me now.

Regulator/rectifier's goosed, my battery is cooked dry, connections have got hot and black. (I've changed all of those for new) bike only runs if the lights are on.
    My question is.. have we got a definative best replacement rectifier/regulator? I would be grateful for any input. I know this is well worn subject but I was wondering if there was a best failsafe prefered unit. Thanks for any input.

Chris
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Have you already dealt with the cause of the R/R failure?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi babes.
      The Honda Superdream R/R is the commonest replacement in UK i think.
      XXX

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Have you already dealt with the cause of the R/R failure?
        Not yet, I will measure the three legs on the stator tomorrow, I only had time to wheel the sick suzy in and grab the triumph, I'm expecting to find a problem there. Is an OEM the way to go or is there an alternative?
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Seana23 View Post
          Hi babes.
          XXX
          Hi Seana, thanks, I'll check out ebay to see what I'm looking at, I think I read you have this?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seana23 View Post
            Hi babes.
            XXX
            Got one and it's on its way.
            Thanks
            sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Seana23
              Hi babes.
              XXX
              Originally posted by tatu View Post
              Got one and it's on its way.
              Thanks

It has been several years since I last did this, but if I recall correctly, you have an additional (sense) wire on the Honda unit, and the green wire is ground and the black one is the sense wire that gets connected into a live circuit on the bike, such as tail or head light.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                It has been several years since I last did this, but if I recall correctly, you have an additional (sense) wire on the Honda unit, and the green wire is ground and the black one is the sense wire that gets connected into a live circuit on the bike, such as tail or head light.
                I was thinking about this today, I'm not sure that the sense wire going to the lights would work as in UK on bikes this old the lights are switchable, so I suppose it would have to go to th positive side of the swiched cicuit? ie: any orange wire? Being as they are live from the ignition switch.
                Is this correct? Thanks for the help.
                sigpic

Comment

I was thinking about this today, I'm not sure that the sense wire going to the lights would work as in UK on bikes this old the lights are switchable, so I suppose it would have to go to th positive side of the swiched cicuit? ie: any orange wire? Being as they are live from the ignition switch.
                  Is this correct? Thanks for the help.
                  Hook your sense wire to the hot side of your brake light switch.There is a tutoral on Cliffs site how to wire it in and how to eliminate the loop to the headlight switch so all three legs of the stator are being regulated.
                  Last edited by hjfisk; 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM.
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

My question is.. have we got a definative best replacement rectifier/regulator?
                    The current trend (pardon the pun ) is the Compufire R/R.

Not cheap by any means, but is supposed to be the LAST R/R your bike will ever need.

I have one ready to go on my wife's bike, just didn't have time to do it when I was home last week.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                      Hook your sense wire to the hot side of your brake light switch.There is a tutoral on Cliffs site how to wire it in and how to eliminate the loop to the headlight switch so all three legs of the stator are being regulated.
                      I'll look again, thanks
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The current trend (pardon the pun ) is the Compufire R/R.

Not cheap by any means, but is supposed to be the LAST R/R your bike will ever need.

I have one ready to go on my wife's bike, just didn't have time to do it when I was home last week.

Steve, I missed this completely! Thanks for the pointer though.

Anyway, I bought a honda jobbie and didn't like the idea of doing the job that way, so in the end I replaced the lot, The stator checked out ok resistance and for good measure (no pun intended) I meggered it too, it checked out ok so I suspect it broke down during operation/heat. I replaced the stator with a new one from gm-cycles. I had read about the shingdengen mosfets. My way of thinking is that the original lasted thirty years so for sure this will see me out, and I had already ordered this before I read about the compufire. I would have bought that instead but it was too late,so this is what I did.
                        This is the unit supplied by Moto-Electrix on ebay, I cut the end cooling fin off, trimmed the lower right corner

and slotted the top hole which allowed the original mounting holes in the plate to be used and lifted the unit up a bit, and spaced it off the plate with five washers and longer screws.

Then I moved the flasher bracket from here, top left, by drilling the weld out and re spotting it back in the lower left corner

I drilled and dropped the starter solenoid a little to give a little more clearance and extended the flasher wires.
                        And this is the completed job, It seems to be working ok charging 14.4 volts above about 2.5k rpm.

The only thing remaining is that the indicators seem to be intermittent in that sometimes when I indicate right it doesn't work till I flick left then right, I suspect the self cancelling is damaged now. They are available new still and its no suprise being as they cost 320 quid some $500! Also there is now a single backfire when throttling off from speed that was never there before and is unlikely to be related but I'll still check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions people.
                        sigpic

Comment

Seana23 just saw you were in the UK. If you get a chance stick you name on the UK social group

You never know we might even get together one day!

I am interested in feedback from UK members about suppliers and services in the UK that will help me with my rebuild.

Greetings
                          Richard
                          sigpic
                          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

The only thing remaining is that the indicators seem to be intermittent in that sometimes when I indicate right it doesn't work till I flick left then right, I suspect the self cancelling is damaged now. They are available new still and its no suprise being as they cost 320 quid some $500! people.
                            I have one of those 1st Generation Self Cancelling Units that does the exact same thing on a '79 GS1000E, except mine did that with the left side. I was able to pick one up off of E-bay and that fixed that problem.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                              I have one of those 1st Generation Self Cancelling Units that does the exact same thing on a '79 GS1000E, except mine did that with the left side. I was able to pick one up off of E-bay and that fixed that problem.
                              I picked up a couple of 1000 possible breakers back in the summer, for a project, I will check to see if either of those will be any good.
                              The indicators worked fine till the charge problem.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X