Another Charging Problem Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Charging Problem Thread

I took my 1981 GS850G form Michigan to Mid Ohio last week. We went to the track and also did a lot of riding in the area for four days. On the way home my battery died. It was a new battery and we had traveled over 700 miles before I had a problem. I checked the voltage at the battery and it is a little low according to the manual. I also checked the stator output and that was OK.
    It seems that I have a voltage regulator issue. If this is true what would be the best replacement for the stock regulator? I've read other threads on here and see several different replacement ideas.
    Am I correct in thinking I need a new regulator?

Dave

Hi,

What tests did you perform on the stator? What were the results?

You'll find a listing of compatible stators and r/r units on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I disconnected the alternator wires-white/blue,yellow,white/green. I connected the volt meter leads to two wires at a time and came up with over 75 volts as per the Clymer manual.
      When I put the meter on the battery and rev to 5000, the voltage reading is 13.4v.
      Voltage regulator?

Comment

Your stator tests ok, so you need a newer R/R because 13.4 volts is minimal charging. It's also important to make sure the three stator outputs go direct to R/R and not up to headlight switch and back. Head to this Basscliff link for real world advice.

Putting on a new R/R and running it will let you know if the stator is up to the task.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Get yourself a Honda R/R and then follow this for the mod:

Comment

Working...
          X