another hot start problem 650e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another hot start problem 650e

I have a 82 GS650E that the starter turns over fine cold but when it warms up it will crank very slow if at all. I searched the forum and found somethings to check. I have a Nipendenso 2 brush starter. The service manual says the service limit for brush length is 6mm I have 10mm. I took the starter to a local starter/alternator shop and they said the bushings were worn, so I had them replace them and it is doing the same thing. Any ideas what to do next? This forum has been alot of help in the past, thank you all.

Originally posted by shakeybone View Post
    I have a 82 GS650E that the starter turns over fine cold but when it warms up it will crank very slow if at all.
    "if at all" as in barely cranking? I'd start looking on ebay (or local )for good used one. Your starter motor is different from 650 shafties, but used on 550's and others so should be easy to find.
    Sounds like a partial open circuit winding when hot- seems strange, you could dig into it, but you could probably get replacement for $30.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Update:
      I picked up a starter on e-bay, under $25 including shipping, installed it yesterday. Today the rain stopped, took it for a 45 min ride got it nice and hot and when I got home it restarted like it should.
      This forum got me on the road again.
      Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by shakeybone View Post
        Update:
        I picked up a starter on e-bay, under $25 including shipping, installed it yesterday. Today the rain stopped, took it for a 45 min ride got it nice and hot and when I got home it restarted like it should.
        This forum got me on the road again.
        Thank you all.
        Hooray! please mark your old starter as NG, maybe cannibalize for parts -brushes/plate- and junk for copper!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X