Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Pickups, bike won't run

Hey guys,

I'm in DESPERATE need of some help ....I've spent the past month trying to get my bike running (1982 Suzuki gs 650e)... It all started with a gas leak about 2 months ago when I first got the bike... After many attempts/opening/taking apart the carbs, I've managed to stop the leak. My main problem now is that I can't seem to get the bike to start/stay alive.

It took me almost a month to just do a carburetor re build (summers are extremely busy for my work), so last week I decided to take it to a local shop to get it running asap so I can at least enjoy it for whatever is left of summer.

First thing they told me was that my gas/air mixtures were off, so they set the float heights, and pilot jets in hopes of fixing the problem... Still won't start properly... The head mechanic is now saying its most likely an electrical problem. Hes checked the plugs, the boots, and the coils and sais theyre all functioning properly, but for some reason when he tested the bike cylinders 1 and 3 were not working properly, and on his second test, cylinders 2 and 4 were not working properly. What he says the problem seems to be are the ignition pick ups. Hes not 100% sure thats the issue, but says its the next step... Now the best part... Suzuki wants 400 dollars for the part. I've already clocked in about $350 in labor and to add another 400 + labor seems almost like a joke. I bought the bike less than two months ago for $1500...

Does anyone have ANY suggestions? Could it be something else? Anyone know where I can purchase the ignition pickups for cheaper? I'm almost considering calling it quits and just selling the bike as is for half of what I spent for it...

Please let me know, as I would want nothing more than to get this bike up and running again! Thanks

start reading

Comment

I would get the bike out of that shop and start the journey here to learn how to do your own work. It's not the fastest or easiest method, but all the information and expertise is here and the outcome will be a great bike that, buy the way, has the best mechanic, (drum roll here) YOU.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

30 year old motorcycles are best owned by people that wrench, or people that are wealthy and know a good mechanic.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Do a thorough tear down,clean,and soak, and install new o-rings of the carbs then reset floats properly as discribed in the manual that you will download from Cliffs site for free and spend endless hours reading the available information here on the site. After that you can ride off in the sunset being pretty sure you will be able to make it back home on your thirty year old bike. No really read your welcome page that Cliff has sent you or will send and do all the maintenance on your bike as recomended. You will be happier
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I followed the guide word for word, and did a thorough clean/rebuild of each carb. I fixed the leak, the issue no longer seems to be the carburetors... It's just gotten to the point where there is about one month left in summer, and I haven't had the chance to ride the bike at all!

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              I would get the bike out of that shop and start the journey here to learn how to do your own work.
              This is best suggestion-and it was made 6 weeks ago. This shop is either incapable or uninterested, but they likely enjoy your money. You need to start over-get bike back and do the work yourself. Hopefully, you kept original carb parts as the K&L kits might be inferior.
              Your ignition system is easy to test.... head to Basscliff's

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Did the bike run before you fixed the gas leak? If so then you need to look over the work you did.

If the bike was a work in progress since the moment you picked it up then everything is fair blame.

Check spark on the plugs, make sure the right plugs are connected to the right coil (cylinder 1+4 go to the left (clutch lever side) coil, cylinder 2+3 go to the right (throttle side) coil), make sure the coils are hooked up right and not wired to the wrong ignitor wire (crossed wiring).

After that I'd look back at the carbs.

Comment

The head mechanic is now saying its most likely an electrical problem. Hes checked the plugs, the boots, and the coils and sais theyre all functioning properly, but for some reason when he tested the bike cylinders 1 and 3 were not working properly, and on his second test, cylinders 2 and 4 were not working properly. What he says the problem seems to be are the ignition pick ups.
                  I'm sorry but I'm not getting a good feeling about this guy and his diagnosis. As Killer mentions cylinder 1+4 fire together as do 2+3. I can't see how 1 &3 or 2&4 "were not working properly"

If he (or anyone else) suspects pick up coils he likely meaning the igniter as that is where the signal to spark the coils is sent from. There is nothing, short of a cut in one of the leads from the pick coils that could affect the igniter and then what you would likely have is one pair of cylinders not firing i.e. either 1/4 or 2/3, assuming that the coils are really ok.

You need to get this bike back in your hands and save your hard earned cash.

You can easily test for spark by pulling off one plug cap at a time and inserting a spare spark plug which you lay across the valve cover or cylinder block. You should see a nice spark. Check each one. If you are missing spark on 2 cylinders then you can worry about the coils, igniter and or pick up coils. Referring to the manual and to Cliff's website you will find tests to check your coils, igniter and pick ups. You can do these tests yourself and we will help.

As the others have said, with these old bikes you do need to become your own mechanic and learn to work on them yourself and I'm sure you can do it. With the help of the collective intelligence and the wisdom and knowledge of several Gurus here, there has not been an issue on any of my bikes in the last 5 years that we have been unable to fix even up to earlier this week ( thanks again Ed and Steve).

Get the bike back and lets get it sorted.

Cheers,
                  spyug
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Ok, so I pulled the bike out of the shop over the weekend, brought it home and decided to have a go at it myself. I borrowed a an ohmmeter from a friend and followed the tests on the webpage posted by tom203 (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A17).

Everything seems to be testing either on the low end, or just under the low specs, but nothing majorly low until I got to step 11. When testing the signal generator, it says I'm supposed to get a reading of 250-360ohm's? I get a reading of just over 130ohms... Safe to say the signal generator is failing and it needs to be replaced?

I just called Suzuki, and they don't stock the part, but they can order it in, but once again, its almost 450 dollars after tax. Anyone have any suggestions where I can pick one up for cheaper? I've looked on ebay, found a few used ones, but can't seem to find anything else....

Comment

The signal generators are extremely reliable as they are just basically a magnetic trigger. I doubt they are failing, although I've been wrong before. If you need a new one then I'd purchase used. Very low risk of getting a bad part. I'd check to see what other models used the same part as that will help you expand your search (maybe parts from a 550 for example). I'd post in the Parts Wanted forum as there are a lot of people with boxes of old spares. Better that way compared to ebay.

Good luck
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If it's the same as a 1000G (1980) I have a known good set on my shelf that can go cheap...
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                        X