Oil light on Acewell unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil light on Acewell unit

I need some help figuring out a solution to this problem... The oil light, an LED light, on my Acewell unit is lighting up opposite of the way that an oil light generally works on our bikes. It turns off when grounded.

At first, I couldn't figure out what was going on as the light wouldn't come on at all. After some testing and research, I thought I might have a bad oil sensor, which I replaced. When that didn't fix the problem, I started fiddling around and connected the wire that formerly provided light to the original speedo to the wire for the gauge's oil light and the oil sensor wire. Viola, the light comes on and goes off when grounded. Exactly the opposite of what I would like to happen.

I've read that others who have purchased Acewell units sometimes have problems with reverse polarity of the LED lights. Is that what is going on here? If so, I believe I may be able to fix it with a relay??? I'm not electrically inclined, so I'd need some good guidance on how to use a relay to fix this issue.

Other Acewell owners have noted that good grounding is important. I've attached the wiring diagram for review. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,

can the led bulb be pulled out and turned 180 degrees...

I know when I installed led lights, for the interior of my car, and it didn't work, all I did was spin it 180 pop it back in, and it would work.

just a thought

not really sure if this would work for this issue or not.

Comment

I wish I could just flip the bulb, but these units are sealed. I suspect that the bulb was installed backward when assembled, causing the problem. Unfortunately, it's way past any warranty period.

Comment

no warranty.....great, pull it apart.....if it's simple to do...

Comment

It's not simple to do. I'd have to destroy the unit. It's completely sealed.

Comment

I see.....

Comment

Turning the bulb 180 wouldn't work anyways, you can use a relay to make it work though.

Comment

It definitely should be a ground operated LED. Mine works just as it should as a direct replacement for the stock oil light which is turned on by a ground.

Definitely don't pull it apart, that will ruin any chance of it being water proof.

Bugger it's out of the warranty period though...

A relay will definitely solve it for you. Hook one side of the relay solenoid to a switched 12v line on the bike and the other to your oil pressure switch.

Then all you need to do is connect the common contact of the relay to the oil pressure switch of the Acewell and the normally open contact to switched 12v.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thank you Pete! I'll give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by G. Bruns View Post
                    Thank you Pete! I'll give that a try.
                    No dramas, let us know how you go.

sigpic

Comment

What about using the other lead for the "hazard" light?

Comment

That might work. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try if the relay doesn't work for whatever reason. I'd really like the gauge to function correctly, meaning the oil light comes on when I'm low on oil. Another option is leaving it as it is and just knowing that if the light goes off, I am low on oil. Although, I'm not a fan of that idea. I want to get a hazard switch sometime anyway... The bike doesn't have one now.

Comment

Pete, I hooked up the relay just as you advised and it works perfectly. Thank you very much for your assistance. I sincerely appreciate it.

Comment

Pete, I hooked up the relay just as you advised and it works perfectly. Thank you very much for your assistance. I sincerely appreciate it.
                            Mate very glad to hear it, no problems at all

sigpic

Comment

I'd really like the gauge to function correctly, meaning the oil light comes on when I'm low on oil.
                              Hate to be the one to tell you this, but that light is not meant to tell you when you are low on oil.

It is there to tell you when you have low oil PRESSURE, or, in the case of your bike, NO FLOW.
                              If you see that light come on while riding, it's probably all over, except the hymn-singing.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X