Stator rotor magnet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator rotor magnet ?

I have one magnet out of the three that looks damaged and visualy split atleast half way through. I am installing a new oem stator. Is this magnet cause for alarm? I am thinking a new rotor is in order as well.

Originally posted by rubline View Post
    I have one magnet out of the three that looks damaged and visualy split atleast half way through. I am installing a new oem stator. Is this magnet cause for alarm? I am thinking a new rotor is in order as well.
    Without being able to see and test it, I'd have to go the replace it route. The main concern is having it break off in the motor and do damage.

Comment

What would a test be? It still has magnetic pull to metal.

Comment

The main test or check to to make sure it's firmly attached and a piece isn't going to break off that's #1 priority.

The other test I would do is check the output of the stator and see if and how much it's affected by the crack.

Comment

You could test it for out of round by installing the new stator and rotating the crank by hand, looking for possible places that it may hit. Personally, I would research the price of a used magnet vs. a new stator and used magnet if the old one, already visibly damaged, decides to finish the task.

Comment

One test would be to take a piece of steel, like an old screwdriver, and move it around the insdie of the rotor, along the magnets. You should feel increased pull as you get to the ends of the magnets, and less pull in the centers. If a magnet is cracked, it will just turn into two magnets, so you would probably see increased pull along the crack. If you do, change the rotor. That different location for magnetic pull will not be in phase with the stator, and will mess up your charging.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Take a small magnet and bring it up to the cracked one. You should feel it pull & Push, will tell you if there are 2 magnets there now.
              If there are now 2 then they may cancel the voltage it was trying to generate, would have to know where the crack is And the field winding dimensions.
              A Scope would tell ya everything.
              The crack also means the 2 magnets may now chatter against each other and make chips (the magnetic field loading yanks on those magnets).
              They may stay in place being magnetic and spinning centrifugal,,.. but you're takin a chance.
              A standard AC Output test should tell you if its reduced output.
              A crack is not totally debilitating, 90% of the Field Lines will pass through and still be a viable Magnet.
              That crack may have been there a long time, maybe even Factory if it passed New Test.
              If there are no chips, if the magnet is still solidly mounted, if the small magnet test doesn't reveal much, its probably still useable.
              I'll probably be Diss'd for saying so, but its probably fine. Again a Scope Testing the AC output would say so.
              You could continue to use it till you source a deal on another.
              Note that the replacement might have cracks too.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X