Timing and plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing and plugs

I've seen the answer somewhere before, but couldn't find it searching.

My plugs are a bit schizo, though the engine seems to idle and run well at low throttle. The pilot circuit chops still shows the plugs for 2 and 3 to be nice and tan, while 1 and 4 plugs keep coming up sooty and rich.

After some back and forth with the air/fuel screws, I wonder if the timing is slightly off, since the results are pairing up in step with the coils. I recall that ignition timing can show up in plug symptoms, but can't remember which direction to adjust things.

In other words, if the black plugs on 1/4 relate to ignition, should I look at advancing it or retarding it to correct?

TIA

Check timing with a timing light.

While retarded timing can lead to an incomplete burn it's not usual to make the plugs look rich and further it's more rare to occur on only half the plugs.

If timing is 180° from cyl 2&3 then it's where it should be and results from timing should be equal.

It's worth mentioning, the inner two cylinders heat up quicker and run hotter than the outer two.

Comment

Maybe one coil is not producing good spark. Have you tested the resistance of the coil that fires 1 and 4?
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
      X