Turn signals only work on one side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals only work on one side

And the flasher unit has a steady click click click. I replaced the unit and the same thing happens. The bulbs are good.
    I know I am due to go through my wiring and give it a good cleaning.
    I was just wondering if anyone has had this same problem and might be able to tell me exactly where to look. Its a very clean all original '78 GS750
    Thanks....
    This places rocks! I became a supporting member. Well worth the 26$.

Have you checked for voltage at the bulbs themselves? That would be a good place to start.

Comment

Thanks...I'll do that. Maybe its just a corroded connector. I was thinking it had to be something complicated, but thats a good place to start.
      Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious. Thats what makes this such a great place.

Comment

Originally posted by capnjim View Post
        And the flasher unit has a steady click click click. I replaced the unit and the same thing happens. The bulbs are good.
        I know I am due to go through my wiring and give it a good cleaning.
        I was just wondering if anyone has had this same problem and might be able to tell me exactly where to look. Its a very clean all original '78 GS750
        Thanks....
        This places rocks! I became a supporting member. Well worth the 26$.

Does you bike have the first generation turn signal cancelling unit? If so that is probably your culprit.

Comment

Your flasher unit is fine... it's just mad that you're grounding somewhere. Look for a pinched signal wire(s). Good place to start is where hot wire comes out of turn signal stalks... could be pinched between rear fender or headlight bucket. Had the same clicking when i installed rear signals; shimmed the stalk with big washer and done. Good luck.
          '80 GS1000ST
          '92 ZX-11
          Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

My 85 750 had the same problem.Must have been a bad connector,when I cleaned the harness in my clean frame break down my flashers worked fine.All bets of if you have auto cancel

Comment

Thanks...I'll get to work on it today and look for a pinched wire.... No auto cancel. It a base model 750.

Comment

For this sort of issue, start at the end (the bulb), and work backwards. It may even be something as simple as a poor ground, although it would be a stretch to say it would have a poor ground at both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by capnjim View Post
                  Thanks...I'll get to work on it today and look for a pinched wire.... No auto cancel. It a base model 750.
                  A quick check is to unplug the flasher unit and connect the two wires to each other. Left or right on the turn switch should now bring the lights on without flashing. Easier to chase down the fault without the flasher unit in the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    For this sort of issue, start at the end (the bulb), and work backwards. It may even be something as simple as a poor ground, although it would be a stretch to say it would have a poor ground at both ends.
                    But if one has a bad ground neither will work.
                    Whenever I put together old bikes I usually just make a dedicated ground wire for each stalk.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      But if one has a bad ground neither will work.
                      Whenever I put together old bikes I usually just make a dedicated ground wire for each stalk.
                      Yes and no. The one with the good ground will light but not blink. Unless the 78 is different from every other blinker system I ever worked on, which it very well could be.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        Yes and no. The one with the good ground will light but not blink. Unless the 78 is different from every other blinker system I ever worked on, which it very well could be.
                        I meant work as in blink
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Fixed!!! I painted my rear cowl last month. The wires were pinched under it when I put it back on. It worked for a while, then I guess it just shorted out. What a dummy I am....a real maroon!
                          Woo Hoo!
                          Its kind of important as I don't have my official license yet so I need to be perfect when I'm driving. Next May I will be official and will drive that sucker every day!
                          Should I delete this thread or keep it in case another stellar mechanic hacks up his own bike?

Comment

Please do not delete it. The title will be easy for someone to do a title search on and prevent a duplicate thread.
                            And congrats on finding the issue.
                            Best of luck with the license. I rode for two years before I got mine, but Texas law would not let me get one at my tender years. And still would not today, but I was determined to ride, no matter what.

Comment

yup dont delete it..i just had the same thing happen today...luckily i seen this thread

Comment

Working...
                              X