clutch safety worn-replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch safety worn-replacement?

After having to hold the clutch lever just right--too many times--to get started, I finally opened up the lever area to look at the bypass switch thinking it needed to be cleaned.

I found that the little "U" has had grooves worn into it over the years and needs to be replaced. That I've found on the fiches (#9)

I also noticed that the "tracks" it contacts to are also worn, but can't identify it, let alone find a replacement in the fiches (red arrow).

I'm hoping that just the "U" (contact holder - for you purists) needs to be replaced and all will be well.

Otherwise, what are the thoughts of bypassing the switch? (I'd rather not, but with no other choice....)

We didn't have clutch cut out switches on our bikes over here until relatively recently - and I still keep forgetting about them if I ride a modern bike. I have got so fed up forgetting that I'll often disconnect the thing. It's what I'm used to I suppose.

However, the bits are dead cheap to replace anyway if you want to stick with one. Buy the thing as a complete unit (here's an example):

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Clutch Lever Switch For Suzuki GSX 1100 ET (16 Valve) 1980 at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

My '78 GS1000E didn't have a clutch safety switch, so I wasn't used to having one when I got my '79 GS1000E. Mine currently is messed up from putting recessed levers on the clutch that didn't quite fit the switch just right and I assume something broke off, like that little peg that fits into the lever. I did break though in a position where it only disabled the switch where it will still start, the bike starts now whether the clutch is in or out, someday I'll either replace or bypass it.
      Anyway, you can easily bypass this switch should you want to, just follow the two wires into the headlight bucket and disconnect them from the harness, then connect the two wires together that you disconnected the switch wires from.
      Or should you want to, you can get pieces from like Boulevard Suzuki,

Or, there's tons of these things on E-bay for not a whole lot of dough.
      The front brake switch is basically the same thing, wires might be a different color and the cut out for the wires on the plastic housing is on the opposite side (the one I ordered from Boulevard Suzuki was the wrong housing for the clutch switch, so I just notched it for the clutch), otherwise, same. If you get one off E-bay make damn sure you get all those little pices, especially that little spring. I spent hours trying to find mine taking my switch apart, only to find it sitting on the engine crankcase on the starter cover. It hit the ground first and bounced up there!
      eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

If memory serves, I believe you can pick up the entire assembly/switch from www.partsnmore.com

It's just a front brake light switch put on the clutch side.

EDIT: It looks like it's the 10th item down on this page and it's $11
        Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

thanks!????

Comment

Even easier, and cheaper, is to just bypass the switch.

Open the headlight bucket, find the yellow/green wires from the switch, locate the connectors where they connect to the main harness.
            Disconnect the switch from the main harness, connect the two terminals on the main harness to each other.
            Close up the headlight bucket.

Sure, you will now need to guarantee that the bike is in neutral before pushing the starter button, but you probably did that already.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Even easier, and cheaper, is to just bypass the switch.
              This ^^^

You DO, ALWAYS, pull in the clutch lever before hitting the start button anyway, right?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                This ^^^

You DO, ALWAYS, pull in the clutch lever before hitting the start button anyway, right?
                I never do (unless I know the bike is in gear). Comes from kickstarting bikes where kickstart engages via the clutch. Never come a cropper though.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Pure habit. I ALWAYS grab a fistfull of clutch prior to pushing the start button .

Comment

Working...
                  X