changed oil, no start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changed oil, no start?

so i stripped out my drain plug but i new what to do, got a threaded insert and got that hole plugged. i still need a new crush waser to seal the plug completely as it still has a very slow drip.

immediatley after getting the new oil in i fired it up a couple times and it ran fine. shut it down and went to get the helmet and when i came back, nothing. it cranked and cranked until the battery was dead.

so i thought maybe i fouled the plugs out, carbs need tuned anyway and maybe choking the bike to start it a couple times finished them off.

new plugs, same problem.

pulled the plugs and grounded them to the bike.they get spark but its weak. its getting fuel, i had my face next to the empty spark plug hole when i cranked it and i got a good whiff off the fuel coming outta the cylinder. carbs have about 1000 miles since i dipped/rebuilt them.

im going to try charging the battery tonight and hopefully i will get a good strong spark tommorrow and it will fire up. but in the mean time, any ideas?

Hi,

Check the voltage at the coils. Check the charging system. Clean the wiring harness and grounds.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

wow, srry for taking forever to reply, 1 month exactly....

anyway, took basscliffs advice and checked the voltage at the coils, and confused the crap outta myself. so i did a little reading on basscliff website and found the proper way to check coils and.... mine were bad. or 1 coil was bad.

so i borrowed a coil from TKC so we could all go riding for last weekend and that worked great. but that was a borrowed coil and in no way was that a permanent fix, so a quick visit to z1 and 2 new dyna green coils and dyna s ignition were in the mail.

got those installed and hit the road to find a huge power increase. the bike was running better than ever but the sun was going down so i headed home.

got the bike out today and made it 5 minutes when suddenly the bike boggs down. it does it evenly across the rpms and across the throttle. checked the timing, it seems ok. all carbs have been recently rebuilt (the right way) and all of the bowls are full of gas.

all cylinders are firing because all the exhaust pipes are even temperature.

any thoughts are appriciated as i am all out of those

Comment

Sounds like gas problem

Is the choke working ok not staying on? Or could it be running out of gas Petcock not working right? Is there black smoke out the exhaust?
        [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
        Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Have you checked the voltage at the coils again? Dyna coils require that you have at least 11.5V or better in order to run properly. If you did not do some sort of coil relay mod (lots of ways to skin that rabbit, btw) then you need to do that for certain.
          What color are the plugs now?

Comment

choke is working good, no black smoke. checked the voltage at the battery when it was running and got 12.3 volts no matter rpms.

Comment

Oops. We all know what that means.
              Your mulitmeter is broken!!!!!
              All kidding aside, sorry to hear that. Especially during prime riding season. Best of luck at a quick resolution.

Comment

and the multimeter is about 34 years newer than reg/rect lol!

Comment

My opinion is that you are jumping the gun. Before buying parts, always determine root cause. Has your stator failed or your R/R?
                  Having said that, if you have the factory R/R, you should replace it. But that one is about $70 overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by jesustheplumber View Post
                    and the multimeter is about 34 years newer than reg/rect lol!
                    I figured, I was just trying to lighten the tension. Of all the tasks on a GS, this one is the least pleasant, IMHO.

Comment

eh, i bought the bike with the intentions of making it a good, reliable machine that i could trust to take anywhere. i had intentions to replace the r/r anyway.

and i have to admit, this bike has been a pleasure to wrench on. wrenching is almost as fun as riding. kind of excited to get the r/r out and tinker with it just to see it.

will definetly get the multimeter back out and check the stator. debating wether or not to try to limp over to TKC's garage or hook up the trailer or tackle this one myself.. leaning towards trailer.

Comment

Working...
                      X