1981 gs450l coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs450l coils

i have a 1981 gs450l. the left plug isnt firing consistently. I traced this to a faulty plug wire. i trimmed the wire at an attempt to fix the connection issue with the boot, but now my wire is a tad to short. i decided since the right boot is cracked i might as well replace it also. after i pulled the tank i came to the realise that the coil and wire are one piece. does anyone make a coil and wire setup thats not one piece that i can use to replace the stock coils? can i use 2 coils from a car and make my own plug wire? any ideas are greatly appreciated

Just visit ebay- this should be common-or post in "parts wanted" on here. The coil needs the right resistance to keep ignition system happy. Plug caps are about $3 each
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i am not looking for used parts. i was asking if anyone has used automotive coils to replace their stock coils or if they used aftermarket coils and plug wires? if they went aftermarket or used auto coils then what brand or part number? i don't plan on replacing my stock parts with other stock parts. i want to go to an aftermarket setup where i can replace the coils and wires seperately if the need arises. i do appreciate your input.

Comment

Lots of us have 30 + year old coils- they are unlikely to fail . Your ignitor was designed to work with a certain resistance coils - experiment at your own risk as ignitors are real expensive (even used ones).
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

excel has a nice set that should work, just make sure they're at least 3 ohms. Can use ones which are more ohms,but not less. Also ebay will have new ones to buy also. terrylee

Comment

Working...
          X