Compufire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compufire

Finished the install of the Compufire regulator and hooked up the AGM battery then performed the Stator Papers tests and all's well. Volts are up now to spec and so far the unit stays cool to the touch, no test ride yet thunderstorm.
    1980 GS1000E

Compufire is the closest thing I have used that approaches miraculous.
    Glad its working out for you.

Comment

They do bring an element of reliability to the table. Most will go with the cheapest fix, but in this case you get what you pay for. The system was designed for the Harley with a matching stator in order to add more capacity. We are limited by our stators, so I don't think the CompuFire is even running anywhere close to it's capacity. Time will tell, but I think these units will outlast the bikes.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Compufire

I have already been the route of using a Honda regulator so this was the obvious way to go. Not a direct replacement but the end result worth it so far.
        1980 GS1000E

Comment

Did you use stock stator or the compufire total package?

Comment

I don't think Compufire offers a stator for the GS bikes, so we just order the R/R.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There is no room to put anything larger in our bikes, but plenty of room in the Harleys. It is lucky we can get the R/R separately.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 08-02-2012, 11:39 AM.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                There is no room to put anything larger in our bikes, but plenty of room in the Harleys. It is lucky we can get the R/R separately.
                The Compufire will fit in the stock location with some relocation of components, example the atc fuse box is now above the starter solenoid, aft of that now is the reg, then the master relay which is activated by the ignition switch. That provides power to the fuses. The turn signal control it now mounted forward of the ignition box on the battery holder. Believe it or not it fits quite well.
                1980 GS1000E

Comment

Pictures would make this thread nice...er.
                  http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                  1978 GS1000C
                  1979 GS1000E
                  1980 GS1000E
                  2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    It won't be in time to help this thread, but I plan on documenting the install on my wife's bike when I get home in six weeks.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Point taken my friend, will send tomorrow.
                      1980 GS1000E

Comment

Mustangflyr, it appears you misunderstood, I was talking about the stator, and yes, the CompuFire fits in any convenient location. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Comment

Compufire

Thanks to all for assistance, see if the picture clarifies how I did my install.
                          1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
                            Thanks to all for assistance, see if the picture clarifies how I did my install.
                            Looks good to me.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
                              The Compufire will fit in the stock location with some relocation of components, example the atc fuse box is now above the starter solenoid, aft of that now is the reg, then the master relay which is activated by the ignition switch. That provides power to the fuses. The turn signal control it now mounted forward of the ignition box on the battery holder. Believe it or not it fits quite well.
                              On my bike it mounted in the stock R/R location, I just had to grind down a couple of the cooling fins just a hair for clearance.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X