7" Round LED Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7" Round LED Headlight

Just read about Truck-Lite's new complex reflector optics LED headlight in the October issue of Peterson's 4Wheel & Off-Road. Seems like it would be a good replacement on our older GSs. Draws 1.8amps on low and 3.6amps on high.

Here is a link to the company's website and the spec page for the light.

Find top-quality truck lighting solutions at Truck-Lite. Explore our catalog of advanced LED lights, signal systems, and more to stay ahead of the industry.

Scott

Egads... seems to be $250 - $300 most places.

$263.22 on Amazon, shipping delayed a week.
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-05-2012, 06:24 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Sorry ! I did not have a chance to check on the prices before posting. Since that's about 1/2 of what I paid for the bike guess that upgrade ain't happening in my lifetime. LOL

Scott

Comment

Dogma has one on his bike. His brother helped design it, so he got a "special" price.

I saw those for sale at many vendors last year at Americade. Aimed primarily at the Harley and metric cruiser market, there were a LOT of them being sold.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

270 bucks for led that last forever, or 10 bucks for a convential 7in sealed beam that last for 10 years. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? I don't know what to do?

Comment

The sealed beam is a waste of money, you will hate the lack of light. There are other models that are less at Candlepower. I have an older model with the SuperBright bulb, but I will order one of these soon. I'm in prime deer dodging territory. http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/newblueleft.pdf
            Last edited by OldVet66; 08-05-2012, 05:38 PM.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Since I have been reading "The Stator Papers", because of lower current draw on the LED headlight, would that cause your reg/rec to run hotter?
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic
              1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                Since I have been reading "The Stator Papers", because of lower current draw on the LED headlight, would that cause your reg/rec to run hotter?
                Less power used on the bike (headlight, etc.) means more power dissipated in the stator, assuming you still have a shunt regulator. If you have a Compufire or Cycle Electric series regulator, then you just take a bit less power from the engine.

The one pictured looks different from mine. I think those current numbers are lower too. I know a more efficient power supply circuit was in the works, but I haven't heard if they're in production yet or not.
                Last edited by Dogma; 08-06-2012, 10:36 AM.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Blastr2783 View Post
                  270 bucks for led that last forever, or 10 bucks for a convential 7in sealed beam that last for 10 years. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? I don't know what to do?
                  The LED headlights won't make sense from a purely cost perspective. They are pretty much shock proof, largely bullet-hole tolerant (though we shouldn't need that feature), are brighter to the human eye (total lumens output is a different story, but the relevant wavelengths are better), and throw a modified beam pattern that also illuminates the ground in front of the military vehicles these were originally designed for. Also, I'm told the DOD testers in Alaska report less subjective reflection from snow. I don't know about fog and rain. I haven't had enough opportunities to judge those.

I can tell you that there have been times I passed a semi on high beams that didn't light the road as well as my single LED high beam after the pass.

If you can cough up the dough, these are nice to have.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                  X