brake lights turn signals and vice/versa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake lights turn signals and vice/versa

OK i don't like where my license plate is so i want to move it to where the tail light is!

i wanted to get red turn signal lights and wire them up to the turn signalers and breaks
    so when i hit the breaks they both come on and stay on until released and when i use the turn signals the signals blink in sequence
    this will also give me a good chance to re wire the entire tail assembly HAR DE HAR HAR

does anyone know how to wire this setting up so that i may use this setting?
    also does anyone know if using this setup is legal

The easiest way to do what you want is to treat the back end of the bike like a trailer and get an adapter to blend the yellow turn signals with the red brake light. It will work well, but be aware that when you have the brake on, the rear turn signals will flash oposite the front ones. In other words, when the front left signal is ON, the rear left will be OFF. When the rear left goes ON, the front left will be OFF. That does not indicate a problem, that's just the way it works. If your bike has self-canceling turn signals, they might not work with this mod, I'm not sure. You will also have to be sure that your new rear lights are dual-filament for tail and turn/brake.

As long as your tail and brake lights are RED, it's OK if they are turn signals, too.
    I don't think there is any state that allows a constant yellow light that is facing the rear.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

alright that was my question thanks alot that helps
      but when they blink opposite i dont think that matters as long as both from the front and the back the lights can be seen right?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper0001 View Post
        OK i don't like where my license plate is so i want to move it to where the tail light is!......
        So, baiscally you are saying that you would not have A tail light. You would have the turnsignals be the turn signals and the taillights and the brake lights (the way cars used to be and light what can do with a trailer adapter like Steve sugggest). Your turnsignals you get would then need to be red (as you mentioned, most are yellow) and the kind with the dual fillimant bulbs (many just ahve the single filimant bulbs).
        I suppose you have already concidered that most t/signals are fairly small, and that is all you are going to have on the back end of the bike.

I dont know specificallyh about your model of bike, but on some the licence plate light is in the tail light or the tail light IS the licence plate light. Aslo dontr know how picky any cop would get if you didnt have a licnece plate light (or the specifics of inspections in your state).

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The easiest way to do what you want is to treat the back end of the bike like a trailer and get an adapter to blend the yellow turn signals with the red brake light. It will work well,

Steve, trying to ponder what effect such a trailer adapter would have on the stock bike t/signal flasher. Thinking about tyhe current flow thru the t/signal flasher.

Last edited by Redman; 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          So, baiscally you are saying that you would not have A tail light. You would have the turnsignals (with red lenses) be the turn signals and the taillights and the brake lights (the way cars used to be and light what can do with a trailer adapter like Steve sugggest).
          No, he can get lights with dual-filament bulbs that will work on the back.

That would give him TWO tail lights, which would also be TWO brake lights, at least until he activates a turn signal.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

'81 and newer GS bikes, at least G's, have dual filament bulbs on the front. They will fit in the back.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              '81 and newer GS bikes, at least G's, have dual filament bulbs on the front. They will fit in the back.
              All you have to do is find red lenses.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Hi,

As another option, you might also want to consider leaving your existing blinker system with amber lights (maybe installing an electronic flasher relay and superbright LED lights) and installing a system from http://www.hyperlites.com.

Mr. kerrfunk's Hyperlites system looks amazing. He posted a video somewhere buy I'm too lazy to look for it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X