1978 GS550 Contact Breaker Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS550 Contact Breaker Problem?

I recently tested the ignition system on a gs550 that I am cafeing after a decade of neglect by the PO - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=197052

There is only a spark generated from the ignition coil for cylinders 1 and 4. I tested all 4 spark plugs and they work just fine and I swapped the coil for cylinders 2 and 3 with 1 and 4 and the same thing occurs so both coils are working properly. The white wire going to/in the contact breaker is the side at fault, the black wire is the side that works.

I consulted the Clymer manual for troubleshooting to no avail. I tested the circuit using a voltmeter from the +12v orange/white wire to the ignition coils and there is a constant ~12.3v from that to the ground, and slightly less from that orange/white wire to the black wire that goes to the contact breaker - however there is only ~5v to the white wire and it quickly fades down to a constant ~0.6v.

I'm not quite sure how to diagnose the problem here but I would like to avoid having to buy a new contact breaker (which appears to be perfectly clean).

Have you tried swapping condensers?

Comment

When I went to take the condensers off, I noticed a considerable amount of white corrosion on the contact point for the white side, so I feel really stupid... :&

I'm gonna go scrape that crud off and see if it helps

Comment

See if it works with the condensor disconnected. If it does work with condensor disconnected, but doesnt work with condensor connected, then know the condensor is bad.
        Condensor is not required for it to work. It may work without condensor but may also spark some across the points. Condensor is there to reduce how much it sparks across the points. So dont run too long without the condensor.
        (this is my memory from years and years ago.)
        (somebody tell me if I am wrong.)

Last edited by Redman; 08-08-2012, 12:27 PM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

RE: Contact Breaker Problem?

Hi I am having the exact problem with my mine. WHat have u concluded to be the problem with yours? I recently picked this 78 gs550 and has spark only on 1 & 4 coil pack , so i reversed the wires from 1 & 4 and plug them in to 2 & 3 and have spark, so I know both coil packs are good. Scratching head here , have u determined to be the culprit???any input would be appreciated thanks

Comment

new points and condensors, or a Dyna S, should be at the top of things to buy when you obtain a neglected bike
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X