Shareing my coil repair journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shareing my coil repair journey

Thanks all who helped me diagnosing my coil issues. I started tonight with the teardown. After much reading I set out to give it a go.

I used a chisel and gently chipped off the glue. The wires pulled out easily leaving only the thin rubber jacket behind.

I then marked the depth of the hole to the electrode and put some tape around a drill bit. Using only my hand i twisted the drill around which got most of the runner out. After about 1/2 hour i got almost all of it out.

I looked in my junk drawer and found a hex head wood screw, head size was 1/4 inch across flats. I ran the pointy end over the grinding wheel to flatten it out a bit. I drove the scre down the 2nd hole gently, got to just about the end, and low and behold the rubber spun. gave it a yank and the hole was squeeky clean!!!!! Did the remaining 2 holes and in 5 minutes I was done!

Here are some pics of the progress.... my phone takes poor pictures... sorry...

-Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Hi,

What a great idea for removing the old spark plug wires! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Double thanks! Nice method for a common fix.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Thanks guys, and here is an update.. I took a piece of spark plug wire and it was still tougher than it should be to slip in even with proper lube. Pulled another piece that I left in the freezer over night.. Slid right in.
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic
        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Working...
        X