Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs450 wiring swop

Hey All

I have a 1982 GS450 with a wiring issue, the previous owner has butchered it.

I also have a 1985 parts bike and although there are a lot of differences, I am wondering if I can used the complete wiring, including the later CDI to get my 82 running again.

Thanks in advance for you help

Welcome to the forum. What exactly is the issue? I don't know if they can swap but you might also consider posting up in the parts wanted section and seeing if anyone happens to have one laying around.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by marknir View Post
      I am wondering if I can used the complete wiring, including the later CDI to get my 82 running again.
      Good luck with the "CDI" thing, neither of your bikes has one.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The 85 probably has the ignition advance built into the ignitor, while the 82 used weights/springs to advance timing- ignitors would be different.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          The 85 probably has the ignition advance built into the ignitor, while the 82 used weights/springs to advance timing- ignitors would be different.
          Yep, 100% definitely.

The harness will have enough subtle differences to be a PITA but might work, but the ignition will definitely be different.

Of course if the timing advance curves are the same and the mounting of the signal generator and rotor are the same on the end of the crankshaft, then it's possible it can be retrofitted to the '82.

Also, the GS500's use the same electronic ignition as the '83 and on 450's I believe...

And Steve's right, no CDI
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. marknir,

For what it's worth, a good bit of general information can be found in the links here: New Members, CLICK HERE!!

You will have to do a lot of wiring diagram comparisons and modifications to get the "85 harness to work on the '82 bike, but anything is possible. For parts like that we use eBay and, in this forum, the Parts Wanted and Parts For Sale sections.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X