X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark

New to bike owning and fixing
    GS650E
    Bike was riding fine for a couple of months, she stalled out one day after a ride around the block, and hasn't started since. She sat for three weeks, put her on a battery charger, tried to start, got a small rumble, then nothing. Just discovered I have no spark to all 4 plugs.
    Any thoughts? or past experience would help

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Chris P,

Start here: New Members, CLICK HERE!!

You have a 30 year old bike that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance. In the "mega-welcome" you will find a couple of maintenance lists. You must properly address each item on those lists in order to have a safe and reliable motorcycle.

See the electrical section of my little website for ignition troubleshooting tips. Have you done the simple stuff like check all the fuses? What is the battery voltage at rest? What is the battery voltage when you push the start button? What is the voltage at the coils?

Start with these:
    Testing The Ignition System
    Igniter/Signal Generator/Coil Test
    Igniter Repair/Testing (2MB PDF)

Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Since it ran for a few months and suddenly quit, I'd suspect an electrical problem. As Basscliff said, this bike is likely long overdue for maintenance , so head his way to get this bike going again. If this heat keeps up, we'll be riding till new year in Northeast.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Chris P View Post
        New to bike owning and fixing
        GS650E
        Bike was riding fine for a couple of months, she stalled out one day after a ride around the block, and hasn't started since. She sat for three weeks, put her on a battery charger, tried to start, got a small rumble, then nothing. Just discovered I have no spark to all 4 plugs.
        Any thoughts? or past experience would help
        Assuming it was running on all 4 plugs sparking, and now you have none, I would suspect some one thing that would effect all four. And that would be the ignition pickup (the electric thing in place of the breaker points on end of crank shaft). FInd a manaul, it will show a test to check it with a meter, and maybe a way to simulate it and see if rest of system works. Will need a multi-meter.
        Other one thing is the entire ignitor (expensive) or power to it, or its ground.

Tell us more what you find.

>>
        Other thought.
        Maybe battery is weak, and so low that when running the starter the voltage is so low that cant operate the ignition.
        Check fluid level in battery (if is kind that you can).
        Leave battery on charger long time.
        Try again.
        Last edited by Redman; 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Check the fuse first and then the ignitor.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'm embarrassed to say this but it turned out to be a fuel issue not a spark/electric issue. After consulting with a couple of people about spark plugs I was informed that you cant always see the spark. So after spraying some ether into the air intake she started briefly (confirming that I had spark). So I removed the fuel line before the filter and tried to start with the fuelcock in the fuel position, It spit out fuel. It also poured fuel out in the reserve position, but did nothing in the prime position. After about 1/2 hour of trying to get her turn over, she finally did. I really had to spend some time playing with the clutch and throttle.
            Thank you all again for your input, unfortunately Im new at all this and its going to take me some getting familiar with the inner workings of this bike. But when she got going it made it all worth it.

Comment

Good to hear the progress.
              There now you know some more about it.

...........So I removed the fuel line before the filter and tried to start with the fuelcock in the fuel position, It spit out fuel. It also poured fuel out in the reserve position, but did nothing in the prime position. ......
              Stock filter is in the tank as part of the petcock assembly. So not certain that is what you are refereing to. Maybe a fuel filter has been added by someone.

...........So I removed the fuel line before the filter and tried to start with the fuelcock in the fuel position, It spit out fuel. It also poured fuel out in the reserve position, but did nothing in the prime position. ......
              PRIme position is what should let fuel flow even if engine not running. The ON and the REServe position should let fuel flow when engine is running and making vacuum, and shut off when engine not running. The position is determined by which way the little arrow on the lever is pointed. (if it is the type that has a lever. Some model petocks dont have a lever.)

Last edited by Redman; 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

650E 1982

You said 650E in original posting.
                Put the Model AND year in Signature Line (goto UserCP) then that shows up in every posting, and we know more specifiaclly what bike you have.
                Last edited by Redman; 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X