Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100g 82 starting issues

Hello all,
    So here's my story. I purchased this beauty of a bike off of eBay a few months ago. It was super cheap, and as I was wanting to get in to motorcycle restoration as a hobby, it fit perfectly what I wanted.

The bike has been sitting for about 6 years. Tank has rust and pin holes, seat is dry rotted. But the engine of the bike seems so good. After a full Carb rebuild (they were so nasty!) I got a new battery and tried to crank her. Nothing. No click. Just silence. I had the clutch engaged in neutral, the kill switch on "run", everything hooked up (after replacing the main fuse I now have working headlights, gauges, etc.) And pushed the ignition button. Nothing.

After shorting out the starter relay and successfully getting the starter motor to run like a dream, I assumed the relay was bad and replaced it. Now I have no clue where to go next.
    Bad start button? Bad wiring somewhere? Can a poor ground lead to this?

I'm relatively new to motorcycles, so I feel as though I may be missing some simple little fix. Looking for some suggestions!

Any ideas as to where I should start? I'd obviously love to NOT have to re-wire anything...

Thanks in advance!
    Jake

First, WELCOME.

Next, pull the clutch, then push the starter button.
    (Had you known that, you could have saved the needless purchase of a new solenoid.)

Finally, click HERE for BassCliff's Mega-Welcome.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      First, WELCOME.

(Had you known that, you could have saved the needless purchase of a new solenoid.)

Yup
      These bikes came with a safety switch in the clutch lever.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        First, WELCOME.

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, i most definitely pulled the clutch first; my apologies if it appeared like i did not. Anything else you can think of?

Comment

Is the kill switch on run?
          These switches do suck so I'd try and bypass the safety switch. Follow the wires into the headlight bucket and unplug it and plug the two wires in the harness into each other.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jake12,

Test the start button itself. Disconnect it from the circuit. Make sure your meter says zero ohms when you press the start button and "OL" (or no connection) when the button is not pressed. It could be merely dirty contacts inside the button itself. Did you use a screwdriver and short the terminals of the starter solenoid to get it to crank? Look in the electrical section of my little website for more troubleshooting tips.

Let me drop this off ... >>> New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Don't forget to do the rest of the necessary maintenance. You'll find a couple of lists in the "mega-welcome". You have a 30 year old motorcycle that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance. Skipping steps and taking shortcuts are deadly to vintage motorcycles and other living things.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi Mr. jake12,

Test the start button itself. Disconnect it from the circuit. Make sure your meter says zero ohms when you press the start button and "OL" (or no connection) when the button is not pressed. It could be merely dirty contacts inside the button itself. Did you use a screwdriver and short the terminals of the starter solenoid to get it to crank? Look in the electrical section of my little website for more troubleshooting tips.

Let me drop this off ... >>> New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Don't forget to do the rest of the necessary maintenance. You'll find a couple of lists in the "mega-welcome". You have a 30 year old motorcycle that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance. Skipping steps and taking shortcuts are deadly to vintage motorcycles and other living things.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Thanks for the tips. I did short out the solenoid and it turned the starter motor just fine. I'll try cleaning the contact points and see if that helps. And yes, I've done all the necessary maintenance thus far. All my fluids are fresh, filters changed, new plugs, Carb rebuild,... The works :-)

Comment

Working...
              X