Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in to deep...

Hey guys here goes my first post...
    I bought a '82 GS 1100 G a little over a month ago with the original intention of doing a cafe/bobber hybrid. But after riding it for about a month I decided to ditch that idea and not alter the bike as much. Basically I was just going to take off the windjammer and just remount turn signals and headlight. But disaster strikes!!! On a night time ride something shorts and I lose all lights except my headlight!! So the little voice in my head (which I now know is my shoulder devil) says "why not, instead of finding the problem and fixing it, strip all the electrics off and wire up a simple brat/cafe/bobber style electrics without all the fluff like oil light and what not." So I downloaded a simple wiring diagram and got my hands on a stock wiring diagram and went to work stripping stuff away. It was then I realized that I don't jack about electrics, nor do I know what any of the words used to describe what I assume are electric components are, nor can I even read the dang diagrams that I have. So now I have a huge problem on my hands and I am at the point of a mental breakdown. So if anyone can walk me through removing the wiring harness off the rest of the way using idiot language and then walk me through replacing the wiring I would give you my firstborn. (As a sidenote I have spent some time lurking here reading tips and stuff but honestly anything that relates to my problem is said in big boy talk and I have no clue what the heck is being said) Also I attached a wiring diagram that was recommended to me for a simple base, but there is no allowance for (as far as I can tell) for blinkers or horn or license plate light, and there is no ground running to the engine block... Any help at all would be great. Big thanks to ya'll!

I hear yah takin' yup I do.

Comment

When can we expect the project to show up on Craigslist?

Please don't use the Sawzall before listing it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes well after that you must think us all beastly cads.

Welcome to the site. It is apparent that you have a mastery of a computer app to draw a diagram so you do not lack intuition etc.

I wish I could help you but I am in the dark when it comes to lectricity.

You will get an official welcome soon

Oh and unofficially, Welcome..........!

Comment

Here you go...

Get in touch with him as he just made a harness for his large '82 G,
          he can probably whip it right out.

Eric

Comment

Let me get this straight.

1. You don't know anything about electrics.

2. You don't know what all the electric parts are called.

3. You don't know how to read a wiring diagram.

4. When you started, you didn't know that you didn't know about electrics.

5. You are taking one of the biggest, heaviest, least-likely bikes and trying to turn it into a light-weight race bike.

What have I missed?

I'm sorry, there are just no words.
            I ride many bikes.
            Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

That's one heck of a first post. Ambition got the jump on knowhow, but you're not in as deep as you might think. Search on here for wiring diagrams by valorsolo, he went through and colorized some wiring diagrams so even (ahem) someone like yourself could read them, and we'll let it go this time if you TAKE SOME PICTURES of the parts you can't identify, then you will learn the big boy words for them. You will then be able to systematically follow the wires to the parts, and connect it all back to the way it was. Along the way be preapred to humbly accept some jabs for what you have done to your poor bike lol you better have learned your lesson! This is actually a great time to clean every connection (yes every single one), and improve your grounds, and maybe even directly wire the stator (search for "stator") to the R/R (yes use search again) You'll be fine, and welcome to the site.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys! I will start looking in those directions... Any other tips are appreciated!

O and the bike is not going up on craigslist! hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by jward1989 View Post
                  Thanks for the responses guys! I will start looking in those directions... Any other tips are appreciated!

O and the bike is not going up on craigslist! hahaha

At least Eric wouldn't have quite as far to go get it

Comment

Comment

I can tell you how to fix the problem , Put the original wiring harness back on the bike.Clean up the wiring connectors. Suzuki spent 10's of thousands of dollars having someone design that harness[ although they didn't get it perfect] but it works and there can be a few upgrades to it but no where near the what you are trying to do without a clue.
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Now,what you should have said is...I rescued a Suzuki from someone who hacked up the wiring.Can you help me restore this.

1978 GS1000C
                        1979 GS1000E
                        1980 GS1000E
                        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Right..... /Previous/ owner.

Bikes I've had for a while, I forget what I did and start blaming the previous owner for things I don't remember anymore.
                          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Looking over the diagram, the only thing I see that is actually wrong is the starter solenoid. Not bad at all.

The chassis of the solenoid is already grounded. You need to provide +12V to it via a switch to make it go, so you need another fuse.
                            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I think the diagram is where he realized how little he understood about electrics, then came to his senses and bravely posted up on here. I agree with oldskool- he was humble and all he needs is some help. But he's going have to expect some ribbing

Comment

Working...
                              X