No announcement yet.

I'm in to deep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been some really helpful posts and PM's sent to me and I appreciate it. I'm now enrolled in a crash course on gs electrics courtesy of gsresources.com. And I will accept the ribbing as the consequence of my ambition getting the jump on common sense.

Comment

That's the spirit. Now get off this board and start your reading!

Comment

Does anyone have a sort of diagram that shows where the main electrical parts are located on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by jward1989 View Post
          Does anyone have a sort of diagram that shows where the main electrical parts are located on the bike?
          Pull up electrical and wiring harness here:

Copy those pages.

Eric

Comment

my best advice is to look at the turn signals and tail light and trace them all the way to the fuse box or EXPOSE THEM
            its long and tedious but in the end its worth it
            try and find anything that is exposed and touching bare metal and tape it up with electrical tape
            also look and see if any of the wires are bare and toching another bare wire!

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
              I can tell you how to fix the problem , Put the original wiring harness back on the bike.Clean up the wiring connectors. Suzuki spent 10's of thousands of dollars having someone design that harness[ although they didn't get it perfect] but it works and there can be a few upgrades to it but no where near the what you are trying to do without a clue.
              Dollars? I thought they spent millions of Yen.
              HAHAHHA OMG I r funny

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
                Pretty simple, behind the left side cover, you'll see the fuse box, to the right of it is the starter solenoid, follow the red connector there, and it will lead you to the ignition module directly behind those items mounted on the backside of the bracket holding the fuse box and solenoid. reaching underneath the battery box from the same side you'll feel the Regulator/rectifier, on the other side behind the side panel, you'll see your rear brake master cylinder and reservoir, to the left with 3 wires is the signal relay and next to that is the signal self canceling unit. Coils are on the frame directly under the middle of the fuel tank. Looking underneath the left side directly under the shift lever and that part of the engine/trans case(look under the bike, you'll see wires going back into a round switch mounted in the case, that's the gear selector switch. Stator and starter clutch is in the large left case cover, ignition is in the small forward right case cover, clutch inside the larger right case cover, starter under the metal shield behind the motor directly under #1&2 carb bank, oil pressure switch to the right of that and the cam tensioner between the 2 of them mounted on the backside of the engine. Not trying to insult your intelligence with anything that seemed obvious, but many may read this that have no idea and it me be helpful to those as well. Let me know if you need any clarification.
                This was a HUGE help! Thanks!!

Comment

One more question: concerning grounds what are ya'lls thoughts on running grounds to the gas tank?
                  I was speaking to my father-in-law, who is an engineer for Honda up in Marysville OH, and he was concerned with the effects that static electricity might have on the bike and planted the idea of grounding the tank, the frame, and the engine block. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about this?

Comment

Electrics are Black Magic and should be burned.

Its now November and I still don't have power to my bike. I wired up the bike as best I could according the the chopper/brat diagram I posted earlier in the thread and got nothing. So I then started trying to modify the original harness (replacing all the frayed and severed wires and corroded connections) and still nothing. So after countless hours in the garage and learning many new and colorful words to vent my frustration I return here asking for help from you good people. Is there anyone I can get in touch with that can help me mock up a simple diagram that WORKS with the charging system of the '82 1100g? I am almost ready to pay someone to do it....

Comment

Tenative Wiring diagram

Here is a tentative wiring diagram I sketched up. Its obviously missing some stuff (like a fuse box) but I just wanted to get a little input from anyone on what needs to be changed or added or rearranged. I am wanting to omit the fuse box and run all "inline fuses" but I don't know if that is feasible or not. Thanks for the help!

Comment

What is the advantage of an inline fuse over an actual block? I personally would rather have one central location that is easily accessible when I have to make repairs.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I just took a few minutes to TRY to follow your diagram.

If that is the way your bike is currently wired, it's no wonder you are having problems.

Send me a PM with your phone number and best time (in the evening) to call, I will try to help you.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Old Skool, yes that would actually help a lot. I tried to take notes but I think I crossed a few different trains of thoughts into the same note.

Comment

I live in the fort worth area, I have several GS1100s and I have some experience rebuilding messed up wiring. I think I can help if is isn't too far gone. Contact me.
                              Larry

Comment

Wow, a 60 amp main body feed fuse. And you're still trying to sort out electrical problems. You might as well just set it on fire right now.

I think at a maximum I'd make that a 20 or 30 amp fuse.....

Comment

Working...
                                X