No announcement yet.

I'm in to deep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reply's people. Some of you have been helpful and some have been funny but it has certainly made this electrical trip more interesting.
    Old Skool- I forgot to draw in that 5 amp fuse between the R/R and the positive battery. When we were talking out loud about it, it all kinda made sense. But when I put pen to paper to draw it up I got a little ( a lot?) lost
    Steve- Thanks for the offer of contact, I appreciate it, but hopefully old skool and I will have figured this thing out the second time around (hopefully I will have and Old Skool is still just as patient with me as he was the first time, I know this must be like talking to an idiot for him)

Comment

sorry, it was Jameson... that Irish whiskey doesn't mix well with bikes

Comment

Finished... sort of

Ok, after I followed some tips and pointers of the guys here and a fantastic wiring diagram that Old Skool made me I still had no power circuit. Fuming I went on a "Kick-everything-in-the-garage-twice" rampage and came away with nothing but a sore foot. My dad hearing the ruckus (I am using his garage to do this in since I don't have one at my apartment and my wife is against motorcycles in the living room for some reason) came out side and suggested that I bypass the switches 1 by 1 to see if I had a bad switch somewhere. I decided to start with the ignition switch and lo and behold I had a circuit that worked! A miracle! So I have replaced my ignition switch with a toggle switch for the time being in lieu of buying a replacement ignition. So the electric headache is finally over.... Now the bike won't start when I try, I'm guessing that it is due to having sat since July while I messed around with the electrics and the carbs are gummed up ( they were already pretty bad when I got the bike, wouldn't idle unless choked all the way) so I am now embarking on a carb cleaning quest. At this point I have been off the bike so long that my "itch-to-ride-no-matter-how-unsafe-or-unfinished" has slightly diminished and common sense is starting to kick in and I am seeing some big issues with the bike that I will need to take care of before I start using her regularly. All that to say, thanks for the help here guys and be expecting questions to be popping up in other sections of the forums as I start to take her down the long road to recovery.

Comment

good to see you made some progress, and nice work maintaining a good sense of humor! i sometimes wish if people didn't have any help to offer they would just remain silent. And i, too, have had an unreasonably difficult time convincing my wife that the living room is a PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE AND IN FACT CONVENIENT place for motorcycle rebuild. Just no getting through to some people.

greg
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Electrical is the hardest to solve, so be glad "that" part is over with.

-Strip and dip carbs.
            -Then reassemble when clean.
            -Replace any O-rings and Gaskets, if you don't want leaks.
            -Put all your mixture screws within the "ballpark"
            -Make sure floats are set to proper height.
            -Bench Sync the carbs real quick.
            -Put carb rack back on the bike
            (NOTE: hook your throttle cables up FIRST, then put the carb rack back in the bike, cause they won't really go in once the carb rack is bolted back in, haha)

All of the carb teardown stuff is on the basscliff website...you'll probably need it.
            It's not that hard, but you'll get the hang of it.

Comment

Working...
            X