No spark. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark. HELP!

Sorry I posted this in the wrong section. Looking for some help!

I just bought my first bike a 83 GS750T. When I bought the bike the previous owner said that it needed new coil packs and a petcock. So I put in:

-Battery
    -Spark Pugs
    -Coil Packs
    -Caps
    -Petcock
    ext.

When I put the new coil packs in they sparked. The next day went out put in the petcock ran the fuel lines and tried to get it going and it didn't spark. Looked over the WHOLE wiring harness and everything looks clean and not fried, melted, or corroded. Could it be the ignitor?

Thanks for any help.

Update1

I replaced the ignigtor and got her started for a good 10-15 mins the shut her off put everything back on, went out for about an hour or so to get an air filter, came back tried starting here and again no spark? Would this be because of a short? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Update 2

I created my own wiring harness and it was a success until I shut it off then started then ran it for 10- 15 again and again no spark.. Could this be a short or a bad used/new ignitor?

If you haven't already got one, invest into a multimeter and learn how to use it. (forgive me if you already know this.)

*check the resistance of the signal generator
    *make sure plugs aren't fouled

Are you grounding the plugs on the engine to check for spark? How are you checking spark?

Also, I've heard of people having issues not getting spark due to bad/dirty electrical connections.

Comment

Yes hit the wires with a meter- should be around 3 to 5 ohms- Sometimes the crimps can be weak and need a little attention.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. joeynapp,

Have you seen this? >>> New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Look in the electrical section of my website for lots of ignition troubleshooting tips. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sorry this took so long.

haha yes I know how to use a multimeter.

I am reading 4 ohms.

I have finally eliminated some things. I have spark only when its cold. When it warms up on idle for 15 it will cut off and then no spark. When I let it cool off for about 4 hours it will start again, run healthy and the die.

So basically once it hit temp it will cut spark?

Comment

I had the same issue with my GS. Replaced the igniter/signal generator with a Dyna-S and the problem went away.

Comment

Working...
            X