relay mod for coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relay mod for coil

I reviewed the pages on basscliffs site. The schematics show the orange/white wire from the ignitor not connected.. Is this true?
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

There's a couple different schematics. Which one are you looking at?

Comment

this one
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic

Comment

In that diagram I see a white and a black/yellow wire coming from the ignitor, which connect to the coils. The orange/white wire connects the coils to pin 87 on the relay. The other half of the orange/white wire (the relay is going into the middle of this connection) connects the killswitch to port 86 on the relay.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          In that diagram I see a white and a black/yellow wire coming from the ignitor, which connect to the coils. The orange/white wire connects the coils to pin 87 on the relay. The other half of the orange/white wire (the relay is going into the middle of this connection) connects the killswitch to port 86 on the relay.
          yep, got that far, no problems there. But see this diagram, its how my bike was wired prior to the relay mod. notice the org/wh wire from the ignitor... not there in the coil mod diagram.
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic

Comment

I got it now! The diagram in the directions is simplified and generic, so the current diagram helps lots. The oarnge/white should go to pin 87 on the relay along with the oarnge/white from the coils.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              I got it now! The diagram in the directions is simplified and generic, so the current diagram helps lots. The oarnge/white should go to pin 87 on the relay along with the oarnge/white from the coils.
              orange/white from 87 on relay to coils, not the issue.

PDF from Basscliffs page, orange/white from ignitor is NOT shown however, it does exist on the ignitor box.

I ended up hooking the orange/white from the ignitor to the 87 relay also, bike fired up. Wouldnt fire without it.
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic

Comment

You are just dealing with one O/W wire under the tank coming from the kill switch before it splits to the coils. When cut, the wire coming from the kill switch supplies power to close the relay (86), ground (85), and the other end of the wire that splits to the coils gets direct battery power (fused) through the relay contact (30), (87) to battery + through a fused link (10A).
                Last edited by OldVet66; 08-13-2012, 10:17 AM.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I did not bother to read all the way through what seemed to be rather cumbersome directions. The easiest way to install the relay mod is to remove the orange white wires from the coils. (Whether you do this at the coils or cut the wires before them is up to you.) Connect that orange/white wire to #85 or #86 on the relay. (Unless you have a diode to prevent feed-back, it does not matter which one.) Connect the other number to ground. Connect #30 on the relay to a power source (using a fuse, of course) and connect #87 to both coils.

Note that some 5-pin relays have two #87 terminals, others have one #87 and one #87a. If you have a relay with 87a, you will have to connect both coils to the single #87 terminal, do not use #87a.

If you cut the orange white wire before the ignitor, you need to also provide power to the ignitor.
                  Whether you re-supply power from its original source (the orange/white wire) or from terminal #87 of the relay would be up to you.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                    I ended up hooking the orange/white from the ignitor to the 87 relay also, bike fired up. Wouldnt fire without it.
                    That's what I was trying to say, but I guess I wasn't very clear.

Comment

Thanks guys, and sorry, I've been in a ****y mood, work, and bike issues... at least the bike is running good... I was in the garage, 90degree heat and 98% humidity, 0% humility...
                      -Mark
                      Boston, MA
                      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X