No announcement yet.

Cranks but won't start - at a loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad update: no cranking Had the same problem, where it would crank and crank and not start. So I charged the battery for several hours, tried to start it. It gave me one good run of cranking, and then stopped. Next time I tried to crank, it barely moved and voltage went down to 9 (like it does when I used to try and start it when the engine was hot).

Now all I am getting is a solid click from the solenoid when I press the start button. No voltage drop, so its like the starter motor isnt even trying. When I short the terminals, I get *nothing*. Not even a peep. That means the solenoid is good right? Sounds like a connection problem at the starter, although I just cleaned and lubed and tightened that connection two months ago.

Or I guess it could be the starter. But I thought I would at least get SOMETHING when I shorted the solenoid. But nothing at all. This weekend I am going to recheck the connections I guess, man I really hope its not that starter. This bike is a cash hog.

Now, since shorting the solenoid does nothing, not even sparks, that means it is definitely a connection problem, right? Otherwise I would at least get sparks when I connect the two terminals.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like your battery is dead. Have you had it load tested?

Tight valve clearances will cause hard starting. Neglected valves will burn and kill an engine. When was the last time the valves were adjusted? They should be checked every 4000 miles.

What maintenance have you done to the bike? Have you cleaned ALL of the electrical connections and grounds?

When was the last time you serviced the braking system? A neglected braking system can allow water into the lines. When it heats up it can lock the brakes at unexpected times.

It's a 30 year old machine. What maintenance have you done to it?

You can buy a cheap solenoid from most hardware stores. Get one for use on a lawn tractor (riding lawn mower), should cost about $15.

As for the Shim Club, see the post in the GS Parts and Services section: GS Valve Shim Club

Have you done all of the necessary maintenance to ensure the bike is safe and reliable?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have restored the charging system, cleaned the ignition wiring, and changed the oil.

In one week I will be doing valve adjustment and carb rebuild. Maybe valves this weekend, if it stops raining. Tires are new looking, brakes work well although you're right I need to really look at them. Fork seals were recently replaced and clutch springs as well.

I am having to learn all these things in my spare time so it's slow. But I am trying to stick to the maintenance and 10 newbie mistake guides.

But I don't get why the starter would cease to function so suddenly. One minute it was cranking nicely, the next I'm just getting a big click from the solenoid. Later today or tomorrow I'm going to check the connection to starter. If it stops raining

Comment

Originally posted by ekabil View Post
          Tires are new looking, ...
          But did you look in the right place?

Check the date code at the end of the DOT information on the sidewall.

I have seen tires that "looked new", still had all the mold "tips" on them, but were over 10 years old. Those tires were NOT "new".

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X