Cranks but won't start - at a loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranks but won't start - at a loss

Hi folks, got a 82 GS1100GL. Been a while since I've posted on here because my bike started working and charging nicely after I replaced everything in the charging system. Unfortunately, this morning, my bike would not start.

Yesterday I rode it to a job interview and back, about 30 miles each way. I live in SC, so it was very hot. But traffic was flowing and the ride was good. Bike did very well. I did gas it hard a couple times on some of the curvier parts of the interstate because its fun ( only when no traffic of course ). But had no difficulties.

Until this morning. I should mention that the starter motor and switch can be finnicky. If the bike has been running and is hot, it will not start because it cranks very very slow and the voltage on the battery drops down to 9 while cranking. For example, if I stop for gas after a bit of riding, I have to push start it. If the engine is cold, the bike will start on the first crank usually. And it cranks nice and fast, and the voltage drops to 10 or so. This is normal I believe.

SO anyway back to this morning, the bike just cranks and cranks and will not start. Voltage only drops to 10. (all voltages are across the battery terminals)

When I tried to push start it, I noticed that it was much harder to push than normal. Even in 2nd. Even with a friend, we could not get it rolling fast at all. Definitely not enough to get a good start - when we had it going in 2nd, I dropped the clutch and opened the throttle nearly all the way and only got a couple whimpers.

Note: sometimes when I am getting it started I barely open the throttle, and it seems to make it crank a little faster and get it started. This did not work today - it cranked faster but still did not start. When I had a honda shadow 750 I used to wail on the throttle to get it started in the winter with good results. I have heard not to do this on these bikes, and I haven't wailed on it, just opened a hair's breadth. But whats the difference in these and my old honda?

And what the heck is keeping my bike from starting and/or making it so hard to push in gear?

Originally posted by ekabil View Post

When I tried to push start it, I noticed that it was much harder to push than normal. Even in 2nd. Even with a friend, we could not get it rolling fast at all. Definitely not enough to get a good start - when we had it going in 2nd, I dropped the clutch and opened the throttle nearly all the way and only got a couple whimpers.

And what the heck is keeping my bike from starting and/or making it so hard to push in gear?
    Are you saying your push starting it in gear?

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
      Are you saying your push starting it in gear?
      Let's hope not, but maybe he's training for the Olympics!

Mr. ekabil said
      ".... I should mention that the starter motor and switch can be finnicky"

Your starter motor is calling for attention- something is changing after it gets hot sitting in crankcase.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I agree, if your battery is in good shape and it is pulling that much current something is amiss in your starter. Perhaps a starter rebuild is in order? That question cannot be answered until it is pulled and disassembled.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Let's hope not, but maybe he's training for the Olympics!

Mr. ekabil said
          ".... I should mention that the starter motor and switch can be finnicky"
          Well I am assuming he's not pushing it in gear but when he's says he and his buddy tried to push it and could not get it rolling fast enough and its hard to push it left me wondering. Check your calipers and make sure they are not sticking. Bike should roll fine if brakes are working correctly ( and its not in gear)

Comment

you need a few things to start, spark, fuel and compression, see which one is not working right and thats where your problem is

Comment

Sounds like your clutch might be dragging. When you're starting it and it turns over slow, are you in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled?

Comment

My guess is that it's probably past time for a valve adjustment

Originally posted by ekabil View Post
                When I had a honda shadow 750 I used to wail on the throttle to get it started in the winter with good results. I have heard not to do this on these bikes, and I haven't wailed on it, just opened a hair's breadth. But whats the difference in these and my old honda?
                Not sure about that particular model, but many Honda have accelerator pumps on them. Twisting the throttle will add a little gas each time.

Your GS carbs do not have accelerator pumps. The "choke" is actually an "enrichener system", not a device that physically blocks (chokes) the intake throat. That system relies on the high vacuum of a closed throttle to work properly. If you open the throttle AT ALL, that high vacuum is destroyed, forcing the enginen to TRY to run on the stock jets.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah you aren't supposed to push it in gear to push start?

Whoops. I always heard to do it in 2nd but I could only get it to work in 1st. Harder to push it but more bang for your buck if you know what I mean.

Anyway I started the bike this afternoon after charging the battery and it started right up! The battery was fine this morning though so I don't think that was the problem.

The fact that the bike doesn't start while hot makes me think there's something up with the starter motor. But there are only 14000 miles on the bike. Seems young for a starter to die, but I've had to replace most of the other electrical so I wouldn't be surprised :P

Gonna check valves and clean carbs as soon as I get the parts in. I heard someone around here (ray?) deals in shim exchanging. Just in case I need a certain shim, does anyone know who ray is?

Comment

My GS did not use shims, but there is something here called the shim club. Not sure who runs it, but IIRC it is basically a shim exchange type of thing. Perhaps a title search for "shim Club"?

Comment

To push start a bike, you start in neutral. Get going up to speed, pull in the clutch, pop it into second gear and let out the clutch. There is too much drag to try to push it whilst already in gear. Gotta start in neutral then pop. And use second gear, not first. Much easier.

Comment

When I start the bike normally it's always in neutral. And though I removed the clutch safety circuit I still pull in the clutch out of habit and just in case it isn't in neutral for some reason

Koolaid, if your bike doesn't have shims, how do you adjust valve clearances?

Comment

The 4 valve motors came with a screw and nut arrangement. Much, much easier to adjust.

Comment

Have you load tested your battery to make sure it's good? Is your wiring in shape?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              My GS did not use shims, but there is something here called the shim club. Not sure who runs it, but IIRC it is basically a shim exchange type of thing. Perhaps a title search for "shim Club"?
                              GhostGS1 runs the Shim Club and you can find his thread in the GS Services section
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X