Extra wires on R/R? 8 wire Shindengen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra wires on R/R? 8 wire Shindengen

First off, on Cliffs site I found the used stator I have on the stator compatibility list. Its a Honda. Shindengen SH 541-12.
    On Bikecliffs site, I looked at Electrical odds n ends, and picked "how to modify your Honda R/R.
    The stator in the tutorial has:

3 yellow
    1 black
    1 red
    1 green

Mine has :
    3 yellow
    1 black
    2 red
    2 green

So I have 2 extra wires. Should I just splice the tho reds together and the two greens together so each color becomes one, or just cut and tape the extras and tape them off and just use one of each?

I have performed the resistance and diode test on this unit and it is good as far as the R/ goes....I know I need to install and run before I can test the /R.
    Just need to know what to do with the 2 extra wires.

Well reds are power out and greens are grounds and black is the sense wire. I think I would join the reds but run the greens seperately.One directly to the battery negative post and one to a good frame point. The sense wire I would join directly to the battery positive but you can join it to any "powered" line( but the only issue with that might be it is carrying less than full battery voltage and that may cause the R/r to kick out a bit more than it needs to).

As good grounds ar uberimportant, I would add another lead from the body of the R/R to another frame point or to the battery negative again. Maybe over kill but in my slowly growing experience better to be safe than sorry. Am I getting paranoid in my dottage???

Good luck with it,
    Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

That is what I did, spyug. I joined the reds, and ran a fused wire to the battery. The grounds went to separate grounding points as I did not want to use the star ground configuration. Worked just dandy for me.

Comment

Sounds great guys thanks!
        I will definitely run the grounds to separate points and have an inline fuse for the battery connection.
        I bought 5 rectifiers for five bucks......from a guy down the road flrom me at least 1 of them was good!

Comment

Working...
        X