Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front brake stop switch - how should it sit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake stop switch - how should it sit?

When I got my GSX400E I got it without a front brake light switch. Now I finally got the bits, but I am having some difficulties trying to assemble it. It`s a bit of a puzzle to figure out how and where the connector is supposed to sit. If anyone have pics or a detailed explanation I would very much appreciate it.

(Btw - the connector I`m talking about is part number 10 on the drawing: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs450-l-1980-1982-usa_model16018/partslist/92437.html#results)

Until Mr. BassCliff come along with your Mega Welcome, you can go here:

Tons of great stuff on his site. Happy reading!
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

A little out of focus.....hope this helps.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks guys!! You really helped me out with this puzzle!

Comment

New problem!!!

Alright.. Having some other problems now!!

There goes 2 wires from the front brake switch. One orange and one white/black. Basically here is what I hooked up:

- White/black wire from brake switch connected to white wire from the bike
          - Orange wire from brake switch connected to orange wire from the bike

This should be correct....? The problem is that when I connect the orange to orange the brake light stays on, but when I disconnect the taillight works normal (white/black can be connected to white without anything happening). I am not having any problem with the rear-brake pedal what so ever, only the front-brake handle.

What seems to be the problem???

You guys have helped me a lot here, so hope you can help with this issue too!

Comment

The brake switch can be moved ever so slightly in its mount. Loosen the mounting screws about 1/2 turn, slide the switch toward the center of the bike, you should see the brake light go off. If it doesn't, you might have the switch on backwards (the wires go out the front side, not toward the bar) or something is assembled incorrectly.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yes, the switch can be adjusted, which means your brake light can stay constantly on if it's not correctly adjusted.

Comment

Hi,

I too am having difficulties adjusting the front brake light. This started when the tail and brake light failed to turn on. I was able to clean the contacts, which fixed the tail light. I was also able to adjust the rear brake switch so the light comes before the brake grabs, and this is how I like it.

However, I am less lucky with the front brake switch, which is adjusted as far as possible on the mount. The light comes on after the brake grabs, actually requiring a fair amount of pressure on the lever. If I move the housing in the opposite direction, then the brake light comes on later, so I believe I have it in the right direction.

I would like the front brake light to come on early, before the brakes grab, mainly for safety reason, particularly when I am only braking lightly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comment

You could convert to a hydraulic type pressure switch, I've seen many people here recommend them.

Comment

I remember it being a PIA to get it just right. I bought an aftermarket switch, which probably didn't help.

After several on and offs, I did manage to get it to function properly.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X