Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spark plugs - are they telling me anything ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got ya....

lets see where we get once I have it all back in...

Comment

And the saga continues, lord I hope I don't have problems with my carbs when I get them back on.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        And the saga continues, lord I hope I don't have problems with my carbs when I get them back on.
        LOL.
        It's only been 13 days and 10 pages.
        Please note, however, where things finally started to come together. GK took all the data down for the existing jets and settings. You should do the same thing. Document, document. That way, when someone comes along to help you have the information they need to correctly diagnose the most likely cause.
        In this particular instance, GK purchased a bike that had been modified by the PO. In other words, he had an unknown quantity on his hands. It was only after he gave us the actual information that we said "Hey, there is something rotten in Denmark".

Comment

Aaah so that's what happened with GK, well I know whats in my bike nothing is being changed but the carb orings. Got all my carbs parts in separate containers and numbered to each carb. Only real concern I have is getting the floats right and setting up the snycs.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Unless you purchased this bike new, I urge you to document everything that he did: pilot and main jet sizes. Needle settings - number of shims, if any 0 (zero) is also a number . The number of turns out of the pilot air/fuel screw (we will document in this thread how to set them).

Comment

carb jetting 2

Well, measured all the floats, all are spot on, no issues there, took one cap off and found no issues here either, no holes, rips, tears etc....

my only problem is I don't have the snap ring pliers to take them apart and see what the needle is set at....

HOW critical will this be, or is this, or can I put it back and move on forward ?

and of course some pictures

all clean here as well

got the right measurement

not bad on the one side

a bit closer on the other

right spot to take the measurement from, and notice no gasket

and nothing out of the ordinary here

clean as a whistle, but there are them screws that could be the pain...

solid.....

So if I need to take the needles apart, I have to source out the pliers, this will happen tomorrow, or do I start fighting the good fight and start putting the carbs back on the bike...?

Comment

Canadian Tire sells snap ring pliers that were on sale a while back. I bought a pair, but the tips were pretty short. I can't recommend them for this application. In the end I ground down some finishing nails to do the trick.

I can't see how your needle settings would affect your idle though...
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Let's forgo the needles for now, they have no effect on the idle. When you do get them, just remove the top of an outside carb and do that. That was for data collection only, it is just easiest to do while the carbs are off the bike. The most important bit of data you presented was the pilot jet size. You will still want to document the shims, btw.

O.K., put them all together. Set your air/fuel screws (from now on just screws for brevity) to 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated and mount the carbs.
                  The next thing we will need are photos of the plugs, prior to starting that bad boy up. Once you take the pics, it is best if you clean them. I use brake cleaner and a brass bristle brush, you may have a similar method. Basically, we want them to be void of any previous carbon deposits. An old toothbrush will work in a pinch.
                  I take it you have a way of running the engine without mounting the tank? And a long skinny screwdriver that you can reach the inside screws with the carbs mounted?
                  Shall I P.M. my phone number so we can discuss the next steps?

I'm am missing a young Sigourney Weaver playing a seductress for this, btw, so the next time I am in Ontario you owe me a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    Canadian Tire sells snap ring pliers that were on sale a while back. I bought a pair, but the tips were pretty short. I can't recommend them for this application. In the end I ground down some finishing nails to do the trick.

They don't, as I just posted. That was for a document trail. I suggest finding someone you can borrow a pair from, the real ones are around $40 U.S.
                    Once this is done, I strongly suggest doing plug chops on the mains and the needles, which is when the shim information is critical. But until we can get this puppy idling correctly, the chops are moot.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post

The Canadian Tire ones don't work, I picked some up at lunch today, it was on my way home, and yes they are short, so they will go back, I have a few specialty stores around, so I will get some at another time, ones that will work...

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      Let's forgo the needles for now, they have no effect on the idle. When you do get them, just remove the top of an outside carb and do that. That was for data collection only, it is just easiest to do while the carbs are off the bike. The most important bit of data you presented was the pilot jet size. You will still want to document the shims, btw.

O.K., put them all together. Set your air/fuel screws (from now on just screws for brevity) to 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated and mount the carbs.
                      The next thing we will need are photos of the plugs, prior to starting that bad boy up. Once you take the pics, it is best if you clean them. I use brake cleaner and a brass bristle brush, you may have a similar method. Basically, we want them to be void of any previous carbon deposits. An old toothbrush will work in a pinch.
                      I take it you have a way of running the engine without mounting the tank? And a long skinny screwdriver that you can reach the inside screws with the carbs mounted?
                      Shall I P.M. my phone number so we can discuss the next steps?

I'm am missing a young Sigourney Weaver playing a seductress for this, btw, so the next time I am in Ontario you owe me a beer.
                      So I will put the carbs back together, no needle info right now, and then go and struggle on putting the carbs back into the bike.

I will turn in the 4 screws in and then back em out 1.5 turns, I don't have an aux tank, but seems I will have to make something up, if I put the normal tank on it will be hard to get to the screws.

you can pm me the number if you wish and we can make a time to do the rest over the phone, it will not be tonight, it's getting late and I have a few things on the go.

sometime tomorrow possibly, not sure if it will be morning, afternoon, or latter...

so for now enjoy the seductress, and as for the beer, no problem, stop by anytime, door is always open...

the plugs are brand new, but I can pull them out and clean them up before first start, but there is less than 50 miles if that

so to recap
                      assemble the carbs, set screws to 1.5 turns out, install carbs, clean plugs, hook up fuel, and try to start the bike, and see if she idles, and call you if I get that far ?

Right

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                        so to recap
                        assemble the carbs, set screws to 1.5 turns out, install carbs, leave plugs alone.
                        That is all you should do. Do not start it yet.
                        I have to leave to pick up a friend. His car is apart and he needs to borrow my vice tonight so I will be free to help you tomorrow.
                        You will have my number in a PM before we start so we can discuss in gory detail what you should do. It is a lot easier to have an interactive conversation when doing something like this.
                        Talk to you tomorrow.
                        BTW, I went to the auto parts and picked up a radiator overflow tank for $10 and some fuel line, and I zip tie that to my bars. Works great, has a lid on it. Just used it this afternoon, as a matter of fact.

Comment

OK

no starting, will get everything else done and prepared

I will figure out something for the aux tank....

hope you get your buddy sorted out

Cheers

Comment

Well these all looked good....

carbs are back together, screws turned out 1.5 turns, will install them tomorrow, get the aux tank, and get ready for the next step....

Comment

I agree. Every one looks like a good screw.
                              Wait, that did not come out right.

Comment

We are waiting. Did you get it running yet?
                                I'll be in the man cave when you come down for your run

Good luck with it fellas.
                                Spyug

Comment

Working...
                                X