Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spark plugs - are they telling me anything ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
    Come on you GS Experts, lets get this resolved.....wish some of you were close by to lend a brother a hand...

bring it on down to dirty jersey! i don't know that i can help, but we can scratch our heads at it together

sorry you're having such a time with it. i can pretty well relate, though not entirely as it seems like you've got a pretty good grasp on what you're doing and have done to the bike so far in regards to a lot of things i'm just starting to wrap my head around. anyway, it IS all valuable work. not just in saving money from not ordering unnecessary parts, but in knowing better for next time like keeping everything written down.

that's how i make myself feel better about pouring all the time, sweat and money into my 850 (which i'm not even sure anymore that i'm going to keep for the long term - initially thought i'd want to own my "first bike" forever). everything i've put into that bike, that i WON'T recoup if i end up selling it, is all going to make restoring the 1000 and any other bikes I may pick up once i actually have a garage, that much easier, and hopefully more and less
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      I call this peeling away the layers of the onion. With an issue such as yours, we have to be methodical in our approach. Step by step wins the game.
      This is why I believe it to be a fueling issue: When you come to a stop, fuel sloshes forward, changing the physical level of fuel available to your pilot jets. This changes the air/fuel mixture being sent to your cylinders. I have spoken to a good friend of mine about this before, and he changed the float height in his carbs to accommodate this virtual level change. Once we determine where you are, I will ask him which way he thinks you should go, and we can proceed from there. This is why I am asking you to get excruciating details about where you current are.
      By where I am, you mean where I live, no problem

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      I believe it's 170 meters above sea level, if I remember correctly ?

I can do step by step no problem, I have now 3 days of time more or less...LOL,,,we are into a long weekend here

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
      bring it on down to dirty jersey! i don't know that i can help, but we can scratch our heads at it together
      Well this could be an option, but I have enough head scratchers with me now, that it's getting cramped in the garage.....

Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

By where I am, you mean where I live, no problem

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
        I believe it's 170 meters above sea level, if I remember correctly ?

I can do step by step no problem, I have now 3 days of time more or less...LOL,,,we are into a long weekend here
        LOL. I guess there is a double entendre in my statement. What I meant was where you are in your debugging process. And it is a process, trust me. The collective can get you back on the road, you just need to be patient with us as we go through these steps.
        One question, you mentioned that the carbs had been synched on the bike, presumably with either a vacuum set or a CarbTune? Did you do it, or someone you know, or did the PO? Also, when we arrive at that point (we are not quite there yet) we will need to know the settings on your air screws.

Comment

Did you do it, or someone you know, or did the PO? Also, when we arrive at that point (we are not quite there yet) we will need to know the settings on your air screws.
          I'll jump in as I assisted with the synch using my Morgan Carbtune. I believe we were almost spot on level with all carbs. Leastwise close enough for government work. I've had the unit for almost 5 years and have done about 10 bikes so I think I know what I'm up to. GK did the actual fiddling as it was a learning experience.

I think the screws were set out around 2.5 but GK will need to confirm that.

As things stand now, I'm on standby to go help resynch when the carbs go back on.

We will get it sorted.
          Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

I think the screws were set out around 2.5 but GK will need to confirm that.

As things stand now, I'm on standby to go help resynch when the carbs go back on.

We will get it sorted.
            Spyug
            Thanks

This is correct

2.5 was what I set them at, from a lightly seated position to start with and then backed out.

Just want to add....

the bike is setup with the stock airbox, and a new airfilter, dipped in oil, squeezed out as per instructions, just in case anyone asks...

Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Excellent news, both spyug and GK. Just bear with us on this voyage of discovery, I suspect we are almost there.

Comment

no problem....

we have 3 days.....lol

of which I was hoping to be riding instead of wrenching....ohhhh well

worse part is if I need parts I won't be able to get anything as most places will be closed and no one around here stocks anything for a 30 year old bike....

I will pull the top of the carbs to check on the needles this afternoon, or after work, which ever is doable....still have to go and get the special pliers for the circlips...

I don't have any cheap needle nose that I can grind the ends to points to use....as Eric showed me.....

Comment

Yeah, I hate those damm circlips. My GPz, which has a different version of BS34 carbs, does not have them, thank the one above.
                  May I ask why you decided to set the air screws at 2.5?

Comment

Yeah, I hate those damm circlips. My GPz, which has a different version of BS34 carbs, does not have them, thank the one above.
                    May I ask why you decided to set the air screws at 2.5?
                    unless I misread, I thought this was the correct setting as per the rebuild tutorials ? am I wrong ?

Fine tune the carbs (engine fully warmed up and idling) by adjust the pilot screws in roughly
                    equal amounts until the highest idle speed is achieved. If the engine speed doesn’t respond to
                    this tweak, leave them at 2.5 turns.
                    I just left them at 2.5...

Comment

unless I misread, I thought this was the correct setting as per the rebuild tutorials ? am I wrong ?
                      I just left them at 2.5...
                      Hold on!
                      That might be the cause of it loading up at stop lights.
                      Your carbs are too much of a pain to get out and install or I might suggest just installing them again and adjusting the fuel screws.

Eric

Comment

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!!!!
                        We may have a winner, folks.
                        Let's check the float levels and needles.
                        Provide us with the measurements and slap them puppies together and put them back on.
                        2.5 is the starting point, not the ending. Whew, that took a while to get to.
                        Let us know when everything is back together. You will need to have access to all the air screws, I always do it with the tank off.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          Hold on!
                          Your carbs are too much of a pain to get out and install or I might suggest just installing them again and adjusting the fuel screws.

Eric
                          OK....

I can install them back no problem, well it's a pain but I will put them back, going to check the needles first, just to make sure...

should I then use the high idle method once they are back in ?

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!!!!
                          We may have a winner, folks.
                          Let's check the float levels and needles.
                          Provide us with the measurements and slap them puppies together and put them back on.
                          2.5 is the starting point, not the ending. Whew, that took a while to get to.
                          Let us know when everything is back together. You will need to have access to all the air screws, I always do it with the tank off.
                          Well hopefully I can get it all back together tonight at some point, being that nothing was drastically changed the sync should still be OK ?, but I guess if we play with the air screws it will need to be redone ?

Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                            Hold on!

Eric
                            That is exactly where we are going Eric. That sure took a while to get to, but we can get you back on the road now that we know that small bit of information.

Comment

OK....

I can install them back no problem, well it's a pain but I will put them back, going to check the needles first, just to make sure...

should I then use the high idle method once they are back in ?

I'll walk you through it, don't worry.

Comment

How many times last night did I allude to extra fuel sneaking in when it was not needed?

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X