Popped Main Fuse On Deceleration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popped Main Fuse On Deceleration...

I was cruising around the parking lot turning left, clutch in, going from 2nd to 1st (downshifting) and the main fuse popped! 1982 GS450T

I think this is the second time it's happened - but the first time I thought my leg must have grounded out the fuse since I had the side cover off. But it turns out my leg wasn't even close.

What can happen on a closed throttle deceleration & downshift that would pop the main fuse? (I wasn't using the signals, might have been on the brakes...???)

*maybe a bad brake light wire grounding out?

Thanks

Perhaps even the rear brake switch is grounding somewhere also.Even the switch itself.
    You DO use BOTH of your brakes when you stop, right?
    Even a shorted bulb might do it. (Both filaments hitting each other)

Eric
    Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Sure do! ...tho it doesn't help narrow this issue down lol...

Is there a way I could test if the switches (themselves) are grounding?

Comment

Originally posted by Showdown View Post
        Sure do! ...tho it doesn't help narrow this issue down lol...

Is there a way I could test if the switches (themselves) are grounding?
        Ohm meter?

Eric

Comment

Forgive me, I've used my multimeter to check resistance, voltage, and continuity. I've tested resistance in electrical components... but I'm not sure how to test this with a switch to see if it's grounding out. ???

If you can spell it out for me that'd be great!

Thanks.

Comment

You also need to look for any wiring that might be moving a little bit when you slow down.

Good places to look are around the battery box and at the steering neck.

Something might have rubbed through the insulation and is shorting out on the frame.

Since it is the main fuse, look mainly at the line from the battery to the starter solenoid, the red wire from the R/R into the harness, the red wire from the battery (or solenoid) to the fuse box, the red wire from the fuse box to the ignition switch and the orange wire from the ignition switch to the fuse box.

Virtually any other wire would have blown one of the other fuses.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X