Confusion with R/R Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion with R/R Replacement

After burning through a few headlights, I decided to swap the R/R on my '82 GS750EZ. I picked up an old Shingenden SH650-12 (I think originally from a kawasaki?). It has 6 wires: 3 black, black/red, black/white, and black/blue.

Using the information provided here, I've wired it in as follows: 3 black wires to stator (yellow, white/blue, white/red), black/red to ignition+ (red), black/white to ground, and black/blue to my rear brake switch.

This didn't work at all, volts jump up past 17 when revving, stranger yet, turning the key off doesn't kill the engine (only disconnects the battery, allowing the engine to run purely off the stator, at even higher voltage)

But get this, if I unplug either the ground or the sense wire from the R/R it works fine, reading 12-14 volts from the headlight socket. But with both attached, it stops functioning.

I've gone through and checked for loose connections and shorts, but haven't found anything yet. Am I wiring something wrong? Is it a faulty R/R? I'm stumped!

Thanks for you help.

According to the linked thread, that was the correct wiring, but it appears that your unit might be faulty.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds to me like 2 of your wires are mixed up. Not sure which but there are only a few options to try...

EDIT: Specifically, if the bike runs with the key off then I think you are supplying power to the bike through the brake switch wire. That wire should be the sense wire. Try testing it with a multimeter.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2012, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I'm not familiar with that particular r/r unit but I know some units will not have a sense wire and instead have two 12v output wires. Try to find some pin-out documentation for your particular r/r unit. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X