Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Stator & R/R Testing

Hey all,
    I was doing some routine checks on my '80 GS850G this morning and I'm a little confused as to what normal should be for the stator test. Here's why:

In the Stator Papers Fault Finding Chart, the top row shows >13.5V at 2500rpm is normal, and <14.8V at 5000rpm is normal - "Charging system perfectly OK"

In the pictorial guide to Testing The Stator on Cliff's page it says I should see 14.5V at 4500rpm, and if not then there's a problem with the charging system.

I'm a little confused as to which I should follow. On MY bike, at idle (~1100rpm), 2500rpm, or 5000rpm, the DMM sits at about 13.7V consistently. So by the Stator Papers test I'm in the clear, but if I read Cliff's test correctly (the big IF) then I have a problem because the battery is not bumping up to 14.5V or anything close.

I've not had any trouble with the battery dying unless it sat for a long time, and it seems to run well, so I thought I'd ask. No desire to fix what isn't broken!

Thanks!

It is quite unusual for a charging system to be THAT consistent at all speeds.

What is the voltage at idle with the brake light on?

13.7 volts will charge the battery, no doubt about it, it just won't do it as well (or as quickly) as if it were at 14+ volts.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just ran it again to check, and pulling the brake doesn't change anything. I accidentally left the key turned in the ignition when I came in to post the original post, so voltage dropped some, and now at idle it's at about 12.8V, and at 2500rpm and 5000rpm both it sits at 13.2V. There's some flux between idle and higher rpms, but not much, as you can see.

Comment

Also, just started poking around and found that two of the wires going from the stator to the RR had stuck together. Insulation had melted a little bit and the wires were touching. Don't know if that's a huge problem, but they aren't like that anymore...

Comment

Last year on a ride, my onboard voltmeter suddenly give a steady reading of about 13.3 volts no matter if I was at 1k or 5 k rpm. I swapped in a "new" R/R and things returned to normal ( under 13 v at idle but rising quick and holding steady to 14.3 v by 2k rpm). Your R/R might be tired
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to give that a shot then.

Comment

Working...
            X