Cannibalism for a Killswitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannibalism for a Killswitch

So, I decided to strip the new ignition I got (which I thought would work) and then solder on the correct connection for my 650G from the donor OEM switch. I decided to document it just because and I have time to kill today. Hey, maybe it'll help someone. I really like the Katana Switch assembly. It looks a lot more robust, instead of plastic, it is made of metal and (from what I can tell) much less confused. I will upload the actual soldering later. I have to go to class... Online
    It went a little like this:

OEM 650G switch

New replacement Katana switch to have connections resoldered

Wrong connection

Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2012, 06:22 PM.

Extra Pics

Starter button assembly

Kill switch

Wires

Comment

Beautiful work!
      It looks new.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        Beautiful work!
        It looks new.

Eric
        Thanks

Here's the rest of the pictures:

Finished product!

I do still need to wrap the whole thing in, well most likely shrink wrap, but its fine for now since I first need to see if the damn thing works!

Comment

Very nice
          that latter switch assembly seems to be the standard for anything from 83 to 86

But why were you soldering again?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Very nice
            that latter switch assembly seems to be the standard for anything from 83 to 86

But why were you soldering again?
            I had bought a newer 83 katana killswitch, but it was the wrong connection (like you said, 83-86 used that 9 prong connection in the picture while my 82 650g uses the older 6 prong one also pictured) so I decided instead of just selling it or returning it, I'd make it work. It was pretty simple, just thought I'd share it since this is the only thing I can do at the moment

Comment

Working...
            X