Stator cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cover

I am having charging issues on my '81 GS850G, battery is fine, went through the Stator papers to troubleshoot the issue, looks like a good procedure, thanks BassCliff! Problem I am having is I cannot get the stator cover off to test the stator, any ideas? Held on by Phillips head screws, tried briefly to loosen one, and stopped for fear of stripping it...any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

an impact screwdriver with a properly fitting phillips bit in it. too small and it will chew them up
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks! Any suggestions on a good impact screwdriver?

Comment

Local auto stor always has em cheap,10 bux or so.Curious why u have to remove the cover to test the stator tho?U can test it at the connections at the r/r.The bike has to be running to test the AC voltage,not the ohms tho,but it can all be tested without removing the stator cover.However i would remove the cover to check the wiring is good with no cracks.
        Japanese philips heads are different than us ones,i file the head slightly on my impact philips driver to fit tight.

Comment

You can pick up a cheap one from Harbor Freight but I highly recommend getting replacement bits at Sears or some place. The bits that come with the one from Harbor Freight are cheap and will tear themselves up before you ever finish the fourth screw
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I agree with Cowboy,i replaced mine with craftsman bits also.

Comment

also, get a nice set of stainless cap head bolts to replace those horrible screws.
              you can buy a complete set for all the covers
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
              X