Help w/ measuring R/R voltage drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/ measuring R/R voltage drop

Electrical noob here. Going thru the Stator Papers and trying to measure the R/R voltage drop at the negative lead - Step #3. It's telling me to put the red probe to the to the battery negative pole, and the black probe to the black/white R/R wire which in my case is connected to the battery negative pole. Anyway, I get no reading (00) at idle or at 5,000 rpm. Where am I going wrong here?

You are doing fine.

It's really hard to measure the drop in a non-existant wire.

Your only other option is to use a pin to stick the black/white wire very close to the R/R, clip one lead there and put the other lead to the battery. That way, you will see if the wire is, indeed, intact.

One problem with doing that is that you have now compromised the integrity of the insulation, and can allow moisture in to corrode the wires. If you do this, cover the hole with Liquid Electrical Tape.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Since you have the r/r grounded to the battery, a more informative test might be checking the voltage drop between the r/r output and the positive battery terminal.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll do that. So I should get a different reading very close to the r/r vs. at the end of it?
        Basscliff, I did measure the voltage drop there. It was 0.08.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
          Thanks Steve, I'll do that. So I should get a different reading very close to the r/r vs. at the end of it?
          Basscliff, I did measure the voltage drop there. It was 0.08.
          At 5000 RPM 0.08V is a good number. You are primarily trying to measure voltage drops due to poor connections. If the R/R output is connected through a short wire (without connections) directly to the battery then the only votage drops are between the end of the short wire and the (stabbed) center post of the battery. (so you would be measuring the voltage drop across the crimped on connector of the R/R wire and the battery cable end that attaches to the battery post.)

If there is a long wire on the R/R that was connected, then go from the connection side closest to the R/R to the center post.
          Last edited by posplayr; 08-29-2012, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Posplayer,
            thanks for your explaination. Although I've read it a few times, I'm kind of frazzled at the moment, so it's not making sense to me right now. I'll try again tomorrow .

I went forward to test phase "B" of the stator papers. All Three readings between the 3 yellow stator output wires were within spec at 0.9 to 1.0 Ohms. Good!

I got no reading at all (infinite resistance?) when measuring between the 3 yellow stator output wires and the engine case. Good!

Switched multimeter to AC-Voltage and measured output between stator output wires @5,000 rpms and got readings of 87, 91, and 91. Although they are not equal, are they close enough or is the stator shot?

Comment

Switched multimeter to AC-Voltage and measured output between stator output wires @5,000 rpms and got readings of 87, 91, and 91. Although they are not equal, are they close enough or is the stator shot?
              Close enough, and VERY good readings.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Good deal!! Though the r/r is toast. Think I'm gonna spring for the compufire . . .

Comment

Think I'm gonna spring for the compufire . . .
                  I got mine at Amazon.com, $173.13.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X