Converting a 450L wiring harness to a 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a 450L wiring harness to a 850G

Started actually tearing apart the wiring harness and soldering up the correct leads tonight. I cam to some questions perhaps someone can answer.

I have figured out the following with some questions.

Tach:
    direct light replacement. moved lighting over with no splice and little issue. All wires are BW & grey to the lights except one. One light off the 450 is wired orange(I assume hot to green and white. Is there a reason for the one odd color combo? I can't figure it out off of the old gauges if there is.

Lights = BW - Grey
    (one orange to green and white)

There is a plug(3 prong) on the tach side for the fuel guage. Wires are as follows.
    yellow and black to yellow and black
    However the other two wires run:
    orange to black and white
    then black and white to orange

I need to know if this will run the gauge properly or fry it.

Speedo:
    On the sppedo side I have two light plugs (which will be change to LED).
    Light are bw and grey

There are two wires off the speedo which I am confused by
    One is:
    Blue with red strip
    the other is black with red stripe. I can't find any matching wires to connect them to in the 450 harness. What are they for? do I need them?

Gear selection wires are self explanitory if I decide to use them.

Idiot lights are as follows on the 450 harness

nuetral= orange (pos) and blue
    Oil= orange (pos)and grey
    brights= yellow(pos) and BW
    Left signal= LT green (pos) and bw
    right signal=black (pos)? and bw

If any of the electrical gurus have a working knowledge of this please let me know. Goal is to wire the lights and fuel guage so the work with the exhisting gauges. All idiot lights will be replaced with LED in a custom bezel I am creating the template for.

Help. Someone? Anyone? I have searched. researched the clymer, and am still confused.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
    Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2012, 10:17 PM.

I am just a little confuzzled. Are you putting a 450 harness in an 850 or an 850 harness in your 450?

Assuming this is putting an 850 harness on your 450: (which is not the way your title is worded)
    Originally posted by gk45011 View Post
    There are two wires off the speedo which I am confused by
    One is:
    Blue with red strip
    the other is black with red stripe. I can't find any matching wires to connect them to in the 450 harness. What are they for? do I need them?
    Those two wires are for the distance sensor for the self-cancelling turn signals. Your 450 does not have them, ignore those wires.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

re-reading it your right. I am using some 850G gauges on a 450. Not trying to change the whole wiring harness. just trying to use the factory connections wherever possible so the 850 gauges are plug and play when I get my new bezel worked out.

Almost all of the wiring matched up except the sitched power and ground? wired on the plug as staed. and the wire for the distance sensor you say I don't have.

Will the positive and negative on the fuel sensor cause an issue? cause it to read backwards? or can I just swap it at the bullit connectors?

Comment

Working...
      X