Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder 2 & 3 not firing after ground wire mod

I have a GS1000G 1980

I ran an extra ground wire from the battery to the Ignitor mounting bolt. I do not think this is the culprit, as i tested for continuaty before doing the mod.

Now Cylinder 2 & 3 are not firing. It rode ok for a few km's, then it started misfiring. It would randomly fire on all four for a few seconds (not fun in traffic while trying to maintain the flow of traffic) Now a cannot get spark from Cyl 2 & 3.

I have replaced the Sparkplug caps & checked HT side resistance, 32Kohm. On the Second Coil Primary winding I measure 4.4 ohm, which is also within spec. The Signal Generator pickup coils are also spot on with there resistance.

TomorRow i will "Simulate" the Pickup voltage, by doing the "1.5v Battery trick"

I suspect i must look under the cover where the Pickups are, but this seems fruitless, as Cylinders 1 & 4 still fire.

Any ideas or tricks will help.

Tomorrow i will remove the ignitor, to see if there is any visible damage.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM.

I saw your question just before you edited it.

You said you had removed your "mod". Did that fix the problem?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No, it did not. A tutorial i got off here (Repair and Fault finding a GS1000 Ignitor). Mentioned the "correct ground" but i tested with my Voltmeter for continuaty, before even power up the bike.

It is standard Battery Negative terminal to engine casing. I added engine casing to Ignitor mounting bolt on the left side of bike. Thinking that plate in turn would give better ground to the regulator.

Comment

Working...
      X